Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sewing Machines > Home Sewing Machines
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - skewed backside stitches and high upper tension
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum Lockedskewed backside stitches and high upper tension

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: skewed backside stitches and high upper tension
    Posted: 26 April 2009 at 9:36am
Trying to master the sewing machine.

My stitches on the backside look all a bit skewed. Sort of lapstrake stitching.
What could I be doing wrong?

Also, I am amazed how much tension I need for the top thread to avoid looping on the backside. I completely de-tensioned the bobbin but still.

Regards,
Duncan

Edited by Duncan - 26 April 2009 at 2:14pm
Greetings from Holland
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2009 at 8:48pm
Hi Duncan,
In forward you should be able to eliminate the lapstrake effect without any trouble. In reverse this issue is very hard to get rid of with heavy thread and needles.

What thread and needle are you using?

Be careful not to reduce the bobbin case tension too much. Doing so can cause a loose top stitch. The bobbin case pull should feel a bit like dental floss coming out of its container.

You will need a huge amount of tension on the top. With marine fabrics and heavy thread this is normal.

Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Duncan View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2009 at 2:14am
Hi Matt,
Thanks again for your answers.
I am using a 110 needle, and a V-69 thread.
Is the lapstraking a transport problem?

Regards,
Duncan
Greetings from Holland
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2009 at 7:56am
Hi Duncan,
With V-69 you should not have a lapstraking issue unless the tension is not high enough. This issue is typically not a transport problem although I suppose it could be if the feed dog was not coming up high enough. This could keep the take up arm from being able to tension the stitch properly. You might also try a larger needle to see what happens.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Duncan View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2009 at 2:24pm
Thanks Matt,

So is the lapstaking the limit case of looping? So does this mean I have to reduce the spool tension further or increase my uppertension further. Or...is my spool tension now so low it causes the lapstraking.

Sorry for being so ignorant, I am just starting...
Greetings from Holland
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2009 at 2:30pm
It is generally just an issue of not enough upper tension or not enough time for the take up arm to apply the upper tension before the material is advanced. It could also be a tolerance issue at the hook.
Set the bobbin tension as I mentioned before and concentrate on the top thread tension. This is the Phaff machine we are talking about, correct?
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Duncan View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2009 at 2:43pm
Yes it is the Pfaff. I am now considering to have it serviced, just to be sure it is functioning properly.

Thanks,

Duncan
Greetings from Holland
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2009 at 2:44pm
Make sure they get your thread and needle for testing. This could also be a cam problem with the way the feed dog is moving.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Duncan View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2009 at 2:53pm
So I made an appointment to get the machine sorted out. However, the mechanic told me that the machine might not really be able to handle thread of this size, for the spool that is. So I hope it will get better, but otherwise I have justification to invest in the LSZ-1
Greetings from Holland
redoleary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redoleary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2009 at 9:38am
My Pfaff was having the exact same problems, I switched to the V-46 thread and things got a little better but I'm still not satisfied . Not the end of the world, just helps me justify a future investment in a LSZ-1 myself .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic