Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sewing Machines > Home Sewing Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedSinger 221

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmb1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Singer 221
    Posted: 10 August 2007 at 3:56pm
I have a singer 221 (featherweight) and was wondering if it will sew sunbrella for a boat top.  I have been testing with a size 16 and 18 needle on denim and was wondering if anyone else has had any experienc with this.
w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2007 at 3:59pm
Hi rmb1:

You can try sewing Sunbrella with V-69 thread and 18 gauge needles.  My experience is that the featherweight lives up to its mame, being able to handle only two to three layers of Sunbrella.

Bet regards,
Dan Smith
Annapolis Store Manager
rmb1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmb1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2007 at 4:12pm
Thanks for the reply.  I was going to try to restitch a couple of tops and the guy at the sewing machine shop thought that it would work but he has never done any top work.  I have been sewing 4 layers of denim for testing and it does pretty good, but then againg I have never done this before.
Lookingpast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lookingpast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 9:36pm
Hi!  I've never sewn anything that heavy on a Featherweight, but I know my Mom used hers to make sail covers.  Seems like she may have also done some sail repair work, but I can't say for sure. 

Hope this helps!

Lookingpast
No hay mal que por bien no venga.
vincek View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vincek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2008 at 11:03am
I think a lot of home machines can "punch through" Sunbrella OK (if you keep it going fast enough) but the bigger problem might be feeding with the large heavy pieces of canvas that you have in something like a boat top.  Also, because the seems are very long the one sided feed causes more slipping so you probably need to use seem tape for most everything or you seems won't line up at the ends.

VK
trackwelder View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trackwelder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2013 at 10:39pm
     I started collecting Singer 221 featherweights, and Found my mother using one to repair denim jeans and having no problems stitching through multiple layers of material. I drug out a 15-91 for her to use, but the 221 did a beautiful job while she was using it.
If you don't know how LEARN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic