Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sewing Machines > Home Sewing Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedSinger 15-91 sunbrella settings?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaysinet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Singer 15-91 sunbrella settings?
    Posted: 16 October 2012 at 10:24am
Hey guys new to the forum and looking for advice. I am taking a stab at making my own boat cover and just ordered my v92 thread, snaps, soap pen, and snap tool from sailrite. I got lucky and found a left over marine roll of sunbrella from a local awning company which saved me some money.   I have a 1954 Singer 15-91 which works great. I understand this machine will handle up to 4 layers of the sunbrella and plan on using a size 18 needle with the v92 thread.   My question is.... Can someone help me with the baseline settings for this machine sewing the sunbrella with the v92 thread? I mean in terms of thread tension and such. I am hoping someone already has a good baseline and I can tweak from there. Thanks guys!

Jay
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2012 at 11:42am
Hi Jay,
I can give you the basics:

1. Set the stitch length to the longest possible.
2. Use basting tape in your seams to keep shape accurate and to help waterproof the seams.
3. Adjust tension until the thread knots start to appear on the top surface of the material. Then decrease the tension until the knot is no longer visible on the top and if anything is barely visible on the bottom. Do this in two layers of the material being sewn. Tension then should hold in any number of layers of the same material. Remeber that turning the knob clockwise increases tension. Counterclockwise decreases it.
4. Start sewing!
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Jaysinet View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaysinet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2012 at 1:01pm
Thanks for the reply Matt. Does anyone know what setting the thread and bobbin tension has proven to work on this machine to take some of the guess work out, i.e, thread tension at 7 and such.   Thanks.
mdsjsb View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdsjsb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2013 at 10:29am
 Jaysinet, I am getting ready to start rebuilding my enclosure with sunbrella fabric, and isenglass using a singer 15-91, I saw your post and was wondering how did your project turn out.
Specifically:
Were you able to use V92 thread?
What needle did you use?
Any help would be appreciated.
John.
mdsjsb View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdsjsb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2013 at 1:07pm
Jaysinet, I am getting ready to start rebuilding my enclosure with sunbrella fabric, and isenglass using a singer 15-91, I saw your post and was wondering how did your project turn out.
Specifically:
Were you able to use V92 thread?
What needle did you use?
Any help would be appreciated.
John.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic