Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sewing Machines > Home Sewing Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedSInger 15-91 for limited canvas repair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SInger 15-91 for limited canvas repair?
    Posted: 13 June 2012 at 10:06am
My cockpit cover was made three years ago, and while made of sunbrella which remains in as-new condition, the thread used is basically disintegrating.  There are no canvas repair shops anywhere near me, and I will never go back to the fool who made the canvas.  So, I am going to learn how to sew and re-stitch the cover.  Qualification: I have never sewn more then a patch on a uniform or a small repair, and never, ever used a machine.  So, that being said, I have a Singer 15-91 (which I inherited years ago) that is in amazing condition.  I recently set it up and have sucessfully stitched scraps, using normal thread several times.  My question:  Will this machine be able to resew two to three layers of Sunbrella marine?  It is my intention to simply sew over whats left of the existing stitching, using tenera 92.  From what I am reading, I am assuming I need a #19 needle for this.  I am also planning on going to a fabric shop, and taking some kind of lesson on machine sewing.  I would consider a dedicated canvas machine like the sailrite, but for the one or two times I will use it every few years, $700 doesn't seem like a worthwhile investment. 

So, do you think I can I get by with a 15-91 for my limited needs?  Will it handle Tenera 92?

Thanks
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2012 at 10:29am
Absolutely! The machine you have should sew up to four layers of the Sunbrella with ease. I like the idea of the Tenara but get the standard and not the "heavy". For this thread you would want a #14 or #16 needle.

Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
mikec View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2012 at 10:39am
Excellent, thanks Matt.  I'll be ordering it shortly. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic