Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sewing Machines > Home Sewing Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedSeamstress Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockabillyGrrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seamstress Questions
    Posted: 12 February 2012 at 12:36am
Hi,

I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, directly across Huron Lake from Mackinac Island.  I have a start up alterations business.  Being the Upper Peninsula and all; hunting, fishing and outdoors (winter) sports is very popular.  Along with boating.  I have had customers bring in heavy duty sporting equipment and clothing.  My current machines can handle the work, but I would like a better machine specialized for heavy duty equipment.  I am on a budget, working a slightly above minimum wage job until I can get more established with the sewing work.  I have researched portable industrial machines.  So far, I am leaning toward the straight stitch ultra-feed Sailrites. 

My question is; can I buy the cheapest package to start off and build up as I go along?  Could I insert zippers without purchasing zipper feet on anything from leather coats to say portable fishing tents?  Would there be a market for emergency sewing for boaters?  Or do most boaters already have sewing machines with them?  Even though I know how to sew, I have never sewn for boaters.  Could someone point me to basics? 
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2012 at 8:12am
Hi and Welcome to our forum,
Yes the Ultrafeed would be perfect for this use. You can start with the basic package and add any of the features as you progress. But the base package is really quite complete as it is. The only item that I think you would really like to have up front is a zipper foot. For clothing style zippers you often need to be able to sew closer to the hard tooth of the zippers.

Boaters always need canvas work done and repaired. Most do not do their own sewing so there is a big market. The name of the game is convenience and quality workmanship. Hope this helps!

Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
RockabillyGrrl View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockabillyGrrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2012 at 9:20pm
Hi Matt,

Thank you for your response.  In my searching I see that the "monster" balance wheel slows down speed.  Does this mean that a machine with the basic wheel only goes fast?  Or can the speed also be controlled when only having the basic wheel?

Also while Googling "sailrite" I found a used one for sale through a marine consignment store that is called "Sailrite Apprentice."  It looks like a vintage electric machine.  But the foot control and base of case looks newer.  Description says it has a walking foot.  I couldn't tell from pics if the walking foot is the small type for quilting or like on portable industrial machines.  Is this something once made by your company or was there once a turn of the century sewing machine company of the same name?  If it was made by you are accessories/parts still able to be easily found?

Sorry for any "silly" questions. 
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2012 at 8:29am
Actually the Monster wheel and the PowerPlus wheel (standard on the 102500 and 102600 packages) are the same diameter. This means that the gear ratio is the same. But the Monster wheel is a lot heavier (9 times) and this weight makes handcranking possible and does impact power (more of it). But both wheels allow for great speed control.
The Sailrite Apprentice is a machine we offered for a couple of years. It was really to light duty for most of our customers so we discontinued it. It does not have a walking foot. Basically it is the old style HA1 machine that was modeled after the Singer Featherweight.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, Matt

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic