Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sewing Machines > Home Sewing Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedReplace Home Sewing Machine With Sailrite?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKKA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replace Home Sewing Machine With Sailrite?
    Posted: 17 January 2011 at 11:10pm
Sitting in New Zealand, I have problems with my old (beloved) Bernina 530 home sewing machine and I am considering either to have it repaired or to buy another one; there is a Bernina 730 available on the NZ TradeMe market. The advantage would be I can use some of the old spares...

The other option would be to buy a simple Sailrite; I have been dreaming of that since we started sailing as the Bernina - though strong and heavy - had its limits when it came to sewing thicker seams on dodgers or sunsails.
With a Sailrite, will I be able to sew lighter fabric such as standard clothing (jeans, linen) and cushion covers, bed linings or other household items or would I need a second machine?!

Thanks and best regards
AKKA/Andrea

MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 8:28am
Hi Andrea,
The Sailrite Ultrafeed will sew light weight upholstery and clothing well. I generally think in terms of t-shirt weight material being the starting point for a light fabric. Silks and satins don't sew well on an Ultrafeed due to the aggressive nature of the feeding mechanism (walking foot with teeth). I assume you already know we do offer a machine model for your 220/240 volt electric. The straight stitch only version is #102700 and the zigzag/straight stitch model is #102800.
Thanks, Matt Grant
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
AKKA View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKKA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 1:55pm
Hi

Thanks a lot! I am more into sewing canvas than silkens...

Would you ship a machine to NZ or would I have to order through Australia? I assume that there is no retailer in NZ?!

Regards
Andrea
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 2:35pm
I think the Ultrafeed would be fantastic for your use.

We can ship directly to you or you can try Queensland Sewing machines in Australia to see if they offer a better price. We do not have any dealers in New Zealand.

Best Regards, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Indy View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 8:41am
AKKA
We did what you are wanting to do. I have used the LZ-1 on a sail and some leather GREAT machine you won't be sorry. I have materials coming from Sailrite today to repair our dodger and sail bag.
Keith
aguywhosews View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aguywhosews Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2011 at 10:13am
I just bought a LSZ-1 and it came yesterday and I sold my Juki F600 for it.. 

I do some quilting so I'll be adding a simple home sewing machine because I'll need to drop the feed dogs for free motion quilting but other than that... and some fancy stitches, (I'm an abstract artists and mix sewing/fabric/thread and paint) I'll be using the LSZ-1 for sure..

Ciao!
JBS - a guy who sews
larryd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larryd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2011 at 4:58am
thank you for the update... finally I understand how to do it.
Abhimanyu singh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abhimanyu singh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2013 at 3:58am
Hi i am abhimanyu singh. i am new in this forum. Most reliable sewing machine on the market. The Sailrite 111 features solid construction and incredible power and control with the MC-SC R Power System.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic