Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedPlastic Stiffener for Rail Cover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote currrt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plastic Stiffener for Rail Cover
    Posted: 03 July 2006 at 10:22am
I want to make covers for my teak handrails.  In order to avoid installing any fasteners directly on the boat, I would like to use plastic stiffeners at the ends of the covers.  The stiffeners would be relatively thin, easy to cut with shears, and shape with heat, and, of course, be weather proof.  I intend to make pockets into which the stiffeners could be inserted.

I envision something that is about 1/8" thick and comes in sheets.  Does anyone know what kind of plastic I should use? 

Curt 
w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2006 at 5:54pm
Hi Currrt:

I have no idea what would be best, but contacting a local plastics distributor that deals in Lexan and/or Rohm and Haas products would be a good place to start your searrch.  Such distributors specialize in plastics, and their staffs have a great deal of in-depth knowledge on the subject.

Good hunting,
Dan Smith
Annapolis Store Manager
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic