Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sewing Machines > Home Sewing Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum Lockedpfaff 260

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pfaff 260
    Posted: 04 April 2009 at 4:32am
I bought a pfaff 260, to try out if sewing canvas and sailmaking is something for me.
It is a semi-industrial machine. What do you think?

Duncan
Greetings from Holland
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2009 at 6:48pm
Phaff makes a good industrial. The 260 is an entry level industrial but it should service you quite well. The only way to know is to start sewing :)
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
vincek View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vincek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2009 at 12:39pm
I'm sure it's a well made machine but if it's not a walking foot you'll have make sure you make sure you do everything possible to help it feed or at least "take the weight off" the material.  Definitely have a helper for the larger pieces.  They can support the material and give you some slack so you can steer it.  I even do this with my triple feed machine sometimes.

A walking foot can pull large heavy pieces of canvas along so much better.
You'll definitely want to also use the double stick basting tape and whenever possible work with the hem or fold on the underside.  The constant foot pressure tends to "plow" any folded edges and twist things up.

You can certainly make canvas with it but you'll have to be more aware of how to deal with feeding issues.  You'll have to be more patient with it.

Vince

Duncan View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2009 at 6:07pm
I tried it today. It sews easily through six layers of the material I bought for my test boat cover. However, I have some problems. The thread almost jumps from the bobbin because it is so springy.
Furthermore, I still have to finetune the tension.
Finally, speed control is apparantly something you have to learn
Greetings from Holland
jim grant View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2009 at 9:45am
Don't assume that all problems are your fault, Duncan. Thread varies a great deal. If you continue to have problems with that "springy" thread, consider getting another spool to wind bobbins with.

Tension inconsistency can sometimes be reduced by going to a smaller needle. The thread is "trapped" in the fabric better and the stitch knots will be more consistently located.
Jim Grant
Duncan View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2009 at 2:46pm
Thank you for the encouragement!
I was looking into some kind of speed control to limit the maximum speed of the machine. Speed control circuits or even black-boxes are readily available, but only for the type of motors used in power drills (brushes). Would such a speed control device work for a domestic sewing machine or is this the wrong kind of motor?

Kind regards,

Duncan
Greetings from Holland
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2009 at 3:45pm
Sailrite's MC-SCR power system is the answer to your request. It is expensive, but it is an appropriately sized motor to give the slow speed control desired and the power. Plus you don't give up much in the way of higher speeds.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Duncan View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2009 at 9:32am
Thanks Matt,

I think I'd better get an LSZ-1 then..

Greetings from Holland
batson84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote batson84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2009 at 6:36pm
does anyone know if the pfaff 260 can make a zig zag stitch? i recently found a 260 in a friends basement and am interested to know what it is capable of.
thanks
Duncan View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 3:15am
Yes it can make a zigzag stitch.
Greetings from Holland
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic