Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum Lockedlarge zodiac cover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cordm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: large zodiac cover
    Posted: 16 November 2005 at 6:46pm
Has anyone constructed a full cover for a large
zodiac before?

I'm working on a good method of attaching the cover
to the pontoon lines. So far I've come up with a
straight gate karabener bartacked to the cover with
nylon webbing.

Over top of the tie down system I'm continuing the
cover so that it hangs down another 14'' over the
pontoon for uv protection. Any ideas on sewing
something into the seam to weight down this
hanging edge?
N. Cornell
ncornell@interbaun.com
carib2008 View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carib2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2005 at 9:15am
I have got the cover already constructed, am now trying to figure out how to keep it attached to the boat . I do not understand what  a straight gate karabener is. Can you please explain it .

My cover is the kind that is to be left on while using the Zodiac so the sides are going to flap in the wind. I too am at a loss of how to keep it attached and not flapping. I can get it attached fore and aft okay but the sides are going to be the problem.

I have seen many of these covers while sailing south and many seem to have the flapping thing happening.

Does anyone know where one could get some rings with premade patches that I could glue onto the sides of the pontoons to give me something to tie to.

thanks.
k
cordm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cordm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2005 at 4:04pm
Hi by karabiner I mean a metal ring (usually D shaped) with a spring loaded gate - commonly used in climbing and mouintaineering.

I have seen D-rings attached via-nylon webbing to a rubber base intended for fibreglassing or 'aquasealing' to the deck of a kayak or hull of a rubber boat.

The boat I am working on already has a series of these amidships running for 2m or so. I intend to attach the cover primarily to the lines that run between these rings on the pontoon, and then have some fabric hang over this to cover the pontoons from UV exposure.

N. Cornell
ncornell@interbaun.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic