Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedBow Cover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bow Cover
    Posted: 02 May 2012 at 8:30am
Someone has approached me about "fixing" his leaking bow cover.  It is a typical design with snaps around the periphery and a pole in the middle.  When it rains, the cover gets a puddle on it forward of the pole, which drips into the boat.

I looked at the cover yesterday.  It is very old, and I suspect the fabric is just worn out.  When dry, the pole raises the cover such that, forward of the pole, there is a good angle near the pole, but nearly flat toward the snaps.  It looks barely sufficient, but when the fabric gets wet it stretches, sags, and collects water.  

The pole can not be moved forward, because there is a seat in the way. I am afraid if I raise the pole height, it may increase the angle AFT of the pole enough to direct water right under the walk-through wind screen.

Has anyone ever tried using battens  or fabric seams to increase (straighten) the slope on a marginal cover?

Do you think a new cover with new fabric would solve this?  Is Sunbrella a good choice? I have read that Sunbrella also stretches when wet.  The man is on a budget, and I have Sunbrella on hand from other jobs.

Any opinions welcome!

-Sue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic