Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedZipper Alternatives Where Stress On Zipper ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeteCress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zipper Alternatives Where Stress On Zipper ?
    Posted: 13 April 2016 at 7:51pm
Boat cover, zipped up in the back where the cover goes over the rudder: 
https://picasaweb.google.com/108149798664924808733/Misc02#6273191003878429634

The zipper is convenient: drape the boat cover, yank the zipper, and everything locks in place nice and tight wind-resistance-wise.

This was working for about six months, but then the zipper's teeth started pulling apart under the sideways stress.

Seems perfectly logical.... and I will do something else there.

But what?

Can anybody name something besides Velcro or webbing snap connectors ?

Specialty zippers that are made for this kind of abuse?

Edited by PeteCress - 14 April 2016 at 1:53pm
LSZ-1
Zach View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 9:11am
Hello Pete,

If you are set on using a zipper I would recommend looking for a #15 Vislon zipper (they can be rather expensive). Or you can look to using a Coil zipper which is stronger than Vislon but you will need to make sure there is a tab of fabric that coves the Coil zipper as it will degrade rapidly under direct sunlight.

Hope this helps!
Zach Grant
Sailrite
PeteCress View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeteCress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Zach Zach wrote:

If you are set on using a zipper I would recommend looking for a #15 Vislon zipper (they can be rather expensive). Or you can look to using a Coil zipper which is stronger than Vislon but you will need to make sure there is a tab of fabric that coves the Coil zipper as it will degrade rapidly under direct sunlight.
I threw in the towel and went over to a snap connector like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pc-1-plastic-quick-side-release-buckle-Backpack-Bag-USA-ITW-NEXUS-35I-TSR100-/222100267827?
LSZ-1
Zach View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 9:56am
Looks like another good alternative, hope they work well for you.
Zach Grant
Sailrite
Sue2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2016 at 6:05pm
One thing you could have done is to add a flap over the zipper that would take the load (and protect from UV.  The down side is that it's like "belt and suspenders" and takes twice as long to fasten.  If it was stressed only locally, a short webbing strap with a snap fastener could relieve the stress on the zipper.  

Generally, I'm a fan of twist-lock fasteners for the lateral stress areas, if a complete seal is not required.

-Sue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic