Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - YKK Buckles vs Common Sense Eyelets for Sail Pack
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedYKK Buckles vs Common Sense Eyelets for Sail Pack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainSkully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: YKK Buckles vs Common Sense Eyelets for Sail Pack
    Posted: 28 December 2018 at 3:52pm
Hey folks,

I've done numerous Sailrite projects and have pretty much always followed the directions exactly.  I'm building a sail pack for my 37' charter boat and thought it would make sense to install black plastic buckles on the bottom edge instead of the toggles, which seem to rust very fast in the Caribbean.  

My dilemma is that if you use the toggles, the bottom edges of the sail pack meet, allowing noting to come out of the bottom of the sail pack.  I just discovered that if I go ahead and use the 2" buckles, they create a 3" gap between the bottom edges, which could allow some sail cloth to peek through.  I am planning on putting several of these buckles across the bottom of the sail pack, which would reduce the chance of anything falling out of the bottom and being exposed to UV.

Does anyone have any experience with this, input, warnings, suggestions, etc.?  I'd really like to keep moving forward with this project over the Holidays.

Happy Holidays!

Chris
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2018 at 4:10pm
Hi Chris,
I really don't think a 3 inch gap at the bottom with harm anything, especially if the connections are not spaced too far apart. Plus the gap will help the sail and cover to breathe. I would say "continue-on".
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
CaptainSkully View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainSkully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2018 at 4:13pm
Awesome!  Thanks!  The boom is that wide, and it'll just give the sail pack a bit higher "pocket" to help catch the main.  I really appreciate the quick response!  I'll make sure to add a generous amount of buckles/straps.

Best,

Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic