Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedWinter Cover Fabric

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter Cover Fabric
    Posted: 01 August 2012 at 8:07am
I am in the process of researching the best material for a sailboat winter cover.  I live in Erie, PA, so the cover will likely be subject to cold temps, potentially lots of snow, and high winds.  My biggest challenge is that this is a newly restored boat, and I would like to protect the pristine paint and varnish as well as possible.

I realize the biggest challenge will be the design, to minimize the fabric flapping in the wind, but I wanted to pick a fabric that would last many years and not ruin the paint.

A helpful "Live Chat" person at Sailrite told me that the popular Top Gun was not what I wanted, and recommended Surlast.  Is Surlast going to provide many years of durability and sufficient breathability?  I do like the idea that it will be half the weight.

I also contemplated making the cover from Surlast from about the toerail up, and using Odyssey SofTouch on the lower portion in contact with the paint.  Any comments on this idea?  Is SofTouch going to hold up to the elements (cold, UV)?  Will the fuzzy inside absorb moisture and create problems?  Will there be fit problems with using dissimilar materials sewn together?

Thanks!

-Sue
Matt B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2012 at 9:20am
Hello Sue,
SurLast fabric is a tough, non-abrasive polyester fabric with excellent weather and abrasion resistance and good breathability.   Odyssey Soft Touch also features great water, UV, and mildew resistance.  It also has excellent abrasion resistance and can be used in conjunction with the Surlast.  Both fabrics sew easily and are available in 60" widths.
Best regards,
Matt Borden

Matt Borden

Sailrite
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2012 at 5:19pm
I agree with Matt B and the Live Chat operator. Top Gun, though really durable, may be to harsh to the new paint. Surlast is much softer. My only concern with the Soft Touch is that it gets really bulky when you start talking double digit yards. I think I would use SurLast for everything and maybe do some critical area layering with Soft touch (a sq ft here and there).
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Sue2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2012 at 9:17pm
Thank you, that really helps!  I had not thought about the bulkiness.  I also was thinking the fuzzy side would tend to gather dirt if the cover was dropped on the ground.  I think I will stick with SurLast.  Now, to work out the design...

-Sue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic