Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - wingless' 1994 Edey & Duff Columbia Dinghy Cover
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum Lockedwingless' 1994 Edey & Duff Columbia Dinghy Cover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wingless' 1994 Edey & Duff Columbia Dinghy Cover
    Posted: 26 October 2014 at 8:42pm

My 1994 11½' Edey & Duff Columbia sail / row dinghy did not have a storage cover.

This boat has lots of teak, that I keep oiled, so I want / need a storage cover to protect the boat from the elements.

The first step was to design and create blocks to hold the bows that support the cover. The dinghy has two sets of oarlocks, so I designed blocks w/ ½" pins to fit into the oarlock holes. These blocks have upward-facing slots to hold the fiberglass bows. There are also holes that I use to secure the blocks to the inwale, so these cannot be lost by falling overboard.

The bows are tall to shed water, even during a downpour. The bows are tall enough to permit sitting on the bench seats w/ the cover in-place.

The cover system was designed so that I did not need to drill into the boat, or attach fasteners to the boat.

The cover is attached to the boat w/ 1" polyester webbing and white 1" polyester hook and loop Velcro. The Velcro is on the ends of the webbing and the webbing is looped around the inwale. There is also a strap to the eternal bow eye and to a external stern eye.

The polyester was selected for UV immunity. I also use Gore Tenara thread to be impervious to sunlight.

The cover is very secure.

The cover overhangs the gunnel, tapered-in for a snug fit. There is a second layer of fabric on the bottom 4" of the cover, w/ binding to hold these layers together.

There is a vent on the cover.

The cover has a zipper door to permit entry when the cover is in-place. The zipper door is larger than the cover opening, so the zipper is covered w/ fabric, to shed water.

The boat is currently stored on vee davits on the swim platform of my 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer. The boat is easy to deploy or retrieve.

The only cover fit issue is from the power cord for the Searay. I need to run the power cord diagonally across the top of the dinghy gunnel, so the cover does not hang down properly at those two places.

The cover is made from the same Sunbrella Supreme Captain Navy / Linen that I used when I made the covers for my Searay.

Here is a topic on my dinghy.

Edit: Replaced PB Images w/ Flickr

Edited by wingless - 04 December 2017 at 3:25pm
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2014 at 7:28am
Very cool!
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
wingless View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2014 at 9:47am
Here is the interior of the vent.

This also shows my power cord and mooring line resting on the gunnel.

Edit: Replaced PB Image w/ Flickr

Edited by wingless - 04 December 2017 at 3:27pm
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550
wingless View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2014 at 11:22am
Here is the drawing for my bow blocks. Because the gunnel is curved, fore-to-aft, I needed to make two right and two left hand blocks.

Edit: Replaced PB Image w/ Flickr

Edited by wingless - 04 December 2017 at 3:28pm
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic