Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedWindshield cover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windshield cover
    Posted: 10 May 2014 at 12:15pm
I'm in the process of making sunbrella windshield covers for my boat. Do you have any suggestions on how to finish the corners? I want to double up the edges of the fabric as reinforcement for snaps. Is there a method for creating rounded windshield corners ? Or if I create a square shape I could use a double hem but I'm afraid there might be to much bulk. Any suggestions ?
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 8:53am
You can do it either way. If you do the squared corner it is not too difficult to figure out how to reduce the corner thickness by cutting a square out of the corner before the folds. But if you want the rounded look, it can be accomplished by folding pleats or cutting slits in the edging as the folding is done. I think this is a great idea for a future blog topic so I will pass the request along to advertising.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Tejas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 1:50pm
For a square corner, you could miter the corner to reduce bulk. There are lots of How To Miter a Corner articles on the Internet. The following link, albeit for making a napkin, was the most help for me.

http://piraterodgers.com/tutorials/miter-a-corner.pdf
Beneteau First 36.7

Juki LU-1508N
Bernina 217N with CAM Reader
Singer 99 with hand crank
MyBVI View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyBVI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2016 at 3:25pm
Hello,
Does anyone know if they followed up with the Windshield Cover Making on a blog topic?  If not here did you find one anywhere? I am sick of hunting? PLus I have 4 books on boat canvas work & only one of those slightly mentions it.

Kind Regards,
Pamela
Sarasota, FL
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2016 at 5:01pm
Sailrite has not had time to do this video yet. I will remind Eric that it needs to be done. Sorry but videos do take time to complete:

The most recent videos can always be viewed from YouTube on the Sailrite channel.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
wingless View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2016 at 12:13pm
When I designed and created my custom enclosure I had many panels w/ curved reinforced edges for snaps.

My method was to embed several internal layers of either fabric or old Eisinglass, then finish the edge w/ binding tape, as shown in this image. The binding tape permits following a curve.

Edited by wingless - 10 January 2018 at 12:13pm
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic