Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedWhat seam for a curved join?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TemptressofDown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What seam for a curved join?
    Posted: 14 July 2017 at 8:52pm
I am remaking a small dodger/sprayhood using the existing canvas as the pattern. It's so small that it simply fits over the hatchway like an arched pram hood. On the original the seams were sewn by overlapping the canvas and they failed due to the UV exposure of the stitching. I thought of using a felled seam but as the seam is curved with a convex piece joining a concave piece would a felled seam could become very puckered? Would I be better making a simple seam and then binding the edges? Or is there a better way?

Thx
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 8:44am
Hi, You could use a simple flat seam but sew with Tenara or Profilen Lifetime thread. But I really see no reason that the semi-flat felled seam can't be used. The curvature should not cause an issue if you keep the initial stitch line 1/2" from the material edges creating a fairly narrow seam.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
TemptressofDown View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TemptressofDown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 8:25pm
Thank you - after a few trials with some scrap material I realised the curve was shallow enough for a felled seam to work. Tenera is not an option as the cost of the thread here (Singapore) is more than the fabric being sewn and my friend who the cover is for could not afford to pay that much. Job done; its a tiny bit wrinkly but I think once in situ and under tension it will look fine. Certainly stronger than the overlapped seam the previous canvas work had.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 10:50pm
Sounds good, glad it worked!
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic