Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

twisting thread=skipped stitches?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: twisting thread=skipped stitches?
    Posted: 13 November 2018 at 1:33pm
Sailrite machine using V-46 thread on 1.5 ounce ripstop nylon geting skipped stitches during zig zag but not straight stitches. Switched  to v-69 (not v92 as originally posted) thread and needle change, no skipped stitches. Checked tensions, cap spring, needle bar mark, all seem just fine. I'm thinking that it is the v-46 thread. It wants to twist up on itself. I've tried pulling the thread off the cone vertically, horizontally and off the back of the cone, still twist. I didn't buy the thread from sailrite (writer turns a bit red here), got it off ebay. The thread is described as  

UV resistant V46 V-46 150D/3 High Tenacity Polyester Sewing Thread

Could the thread be causing skipped stitches? And if so is there any thing I could do to correct this?

Thanks
Jerry

Edited by Jerry - 16 November 2018 at 4:21pm
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2018 at 1:38pm
Hi Jerry,
Actually surprised the V-92 worked in that setup at all. V-46 would be the right thread size for what you are doing. If the thread is twisting up noticeably then you can image how it acts/twists at the hook when the loop is formed. Before doing anything else I would get another cone of thread (Coats or A&E would be my recommendation).
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Jerry View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2018 at 2:15pm
Just ordered 8400 yards of the v46 white from Sailrite. I'll post the results once it gets here.
Thanks Matt.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2018 at 6:31pm
Sounds good! Looking forward to hearing positive results.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Jerry View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 4:28pm
I mis-remembered the the thread size, not 92 its 69. The v46 arrived today and it works beautiful. No skipped stitches. 
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2018 at 4:42pm
AWESOME!

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
David View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2018 at 11:54am
One thing to check is that the needle is not inserted with the eye in the proper orientation. The eye should be located to the side of the needle (facing left from the sewers p.o.v.). 

Possibly, if it is oriented in a different position, it puts a twist into the thread as it enters the fabric, engages with the bobbin thread, and is pulled back up through the fabric.

Just maybe.

DG

Edited by David - 21 December 2018 at 11:54am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic