Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedTrimming Tapered Battens

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcbit01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trimming Tapered Battens
    Posted: 18 November 2008 at 4:49pm
First, I've lost or broken some of the battens from my mainsail.  I'm going to measure the pockets tonight and wanted to make sure the thick ends of tapered battens can be trimmed to fit before I buy them.  Anyone ever done this and had them still work properly?

Second, I don't think the ends of my batten pockets have elastic "tension" keepers.  Is there any retrofit short of unstitching the luff end of the pocket and hand sewing elastic to each side and re-closing (sail and pocket)?

Third, Has anyone ever sent their sails off to Sailcare to be drycleaned?  What did you think?

Thanks, in advance, for any advice.

Brett
'Radioactive'
Santana 525 #82
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 8:11am
Yes, you can cut the thick end of a tapered batten down. It will still work as intended.

If the elastic in the pocket is shot, the only fix is to open the end and do as you suggest. Sorry.

I hear good things about Sailcare but I have not used them myself.

Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic