Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedTrailer sailboat cover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chdieter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer sailboat cover
    Posted: 09 March 2014 at 10:17am
My husband and I have a trailerable sailboat that we plan to trailer north for the first time in about a month. We've heard that it is a good idea to cover the boat while traveling. I've viewed the video for making a powerboat cover. However, I have a question about making a sailboat version. Should I take the cover over the bow and stern rail? Or should I take it under the rails straight to the gunwale like the winter cover in your how-to video?
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2014 at 10:46am
You could do either if it is attached well enough. But I like the idea of creating a lower profile cover and that means going to the gunwale. It will also be a good idea to add vents so that any air getting under the cover can leave effectively.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
chdieter View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chdieter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2014 at 8:31pm
Thanks for the feedback. I was leaning in the direction of running under the rails.

We don't want to drill any more holes in the boat so snaps are not an option for securing the cover. Are there any drawbacks to using webbing tie-downs with plastic buckles to secure the cover?
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2014 at 9:39am
I think that is a good way to go. It is positive and the webbing is soft so it won't harm the boat.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
karenhenry04 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karenhenry04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 2:00am
Hello,
I suggest you to go for one which fits your boat.I also purchased the boat cover which properly fits my boat and help it to be safe from unwanted things...
Thank You :)
MN Mike View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MN Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2014 at 7:53am
I made a trailering cover for my small Precision 15 this year.  I didn't want snaps either, so I used nylon webbing on the skirt, and I  ran a narrow nylon web around the perimeter instead of rope so I could connect around desk features.  If I did it again I would make the skirt a little deeper.  I made mine six inches deep, and I'd go with at least nine inches.  If you want I will be glad to send you a picture of my cover.  Let me know, and give me an email address so I can send a picture.  - Mike

M Peltier
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic