Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedTorn between Stamoid and Sea Mark

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LinB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torn between Stamoid and Sea Mark
    Posted: 30 April 2012 at 10:26am
My new Sail Rite machine will be arriving today!  I need to make new front and side curtains for our 24'Albemarle.  I plan on using Strataglass for the windows and am torn between the Stamoid and Sea Mark fabrics.  Venting is not an issue on our boat due to the nature of the backdrop that is already on the boat which does allow for air passage.  Can someone advise which of these has better body and would hold up the best.   I know they must be fairly similar based on your fabric comparison chart.  I'm also wondering whether I would need the heat cutters as opposed to scissors to do my cutting.  

It's wonderful having this resource!
LinB
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2012 at 10:38am
Hi,
First the easy question: Yes scissor cuts will be fine with either material. No need for a heat cutter here.

Consider the new O'Sea for the clear vinyl. We are finding it is more readily available and the quality looks to be even better than Strataglass. For home sewers I like the softer finish as well. O'sea still have the scratch resistant coating and can be cleaned using the same IMAR products recommended for use on Strataglass.

Both Stamoid (12.7 oz) and Seamark are premium fabrics. The big difference is aesthetic. Pick Seamark if you want a canvas look and feel and don't mind cleaning the material more frequently. Pick Stamoid if you don't mind a vinyl look and you want easy sponge cleaning.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards, Matt Grant

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
LinB View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LinB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2012 at 10:54am
Thank you Matt!  I believe I'll go with the Seamark as it may combine better with my backdrop which I made out of Sunbrella (black).  There won't be any problem using the Tenara thread with the smaller size needle on the Seamark and either the Strataglass or O'Sea will there?  I am hooked on Tenara thread despite it's price........I hate having to take canvas down to have to restitch areas that have deteriorated!
The Seamark in black should match well with the Sunbrella?
LinB
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2012 at 11:03am
That makes sense. Seamark sews very well and the Tenara thread is the perfect choice. No worries with O'Sea either. Seamark is the same color as the Sunbrella Marine black. It is a perfect match.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
LinB View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LinB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2012 at 11:11am
Matt~  One more quick thing - the O'Sea - would you recommend the 30 or 40 gauge>  I see that you have it in stock which is good since I am going to take advantage of your free shipping special today!  Thanks again for all your help.  i wish I had known about this site when I was fabricating my backdrop a few years ago!
LinB
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2012 at 11:27am
I like working with the 30 gauge product. But if you want the least distortion (best optical clarity) the 40 is preferred.

Don't get me wrong though, the 30 is still very clear :)

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
LinB View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LinB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2012 at 2:14pm
Matt~~  Wondering whether it is possible to position patterns for windows on the O'Sea up and down or can they also go sideways.  I guess I'm asking the same for the Seamark.  I'm trying to get my calculations together to get my order in, and this will certainly make a difference in the amounts I need...........not to mention, my LSZ-1 arrived just a little while ago, so I'm VERY distracted!!  I am used to dealing with woven fabrics and I know how to work with them, but I think these materials may be different.   Thanks once again for your help and expertise!!

LinB
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2012 at 2:41pm
Yes, O'sea has no direction so turn it however you like (even turn it over).

For Seamark solids you can turn it but not flip it. Some patterns have a fine strip and those you must be careful with. But I recall you are using black so the material can be rotated.

Thanks, Matt
Happy sewing!

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic