Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Construction
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

yardage for anchor riding sail

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carib2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: yardage for anchor riding sail
    Posted: 09 March 2010 at 12:11pm
Hi,

I have all the stuff I need to make the anchor riding sail so will not need to order a kit. Can anyone give me an idea of how much Top Gun I need to come up with...I can get some locally from a fellow but he does not know how much he has left over ( packed away for winter) and I don't know how much I need.  I need to make the larger sail of the two.

Thanks

karin
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 1:37pm
3 yards will do it :)
Matt

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
carib2008 View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carib2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2010 at 7:53pm
Big%20smile

Thanks Matt,

Does it matter how I piece this project together ???

Can I make  a seam where ever I can make it work out, of my pieces of fabric ?? Obviously somewhere in the middle .

Is the anchor riding sail just a flat piece when it is finished ??

thanks

karin
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2010 at 9:29pm
The seam should be perpendicular to what will be the upper forward edge of the sail - so not the lower foot edge or the edge attached to the backstay. And yes the sail is completely flat. It is really a very simple sail.
Thanks, Matt

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
carib2008 View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carib2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2010 at 10:43am
Thanks Matt,

So make the seam perpendicular to what  we would normally call the leech, although in this case it is flown as the leading edge of the sail ?

The illustration in your catalogue has me confused, Embarrassed See the sketch and my concerns at...

http://picasaweb.google.ca/carib2008/AnchorRidingSail#5453691184544345874

The picture in your catalogue shows an actual sail on a boat and it looks like an isosceles triangle.

Could you straighten it out for me .....so I can start making a pattern.

Thanks,

karin

Edited by carib2008 - 28 March 2010 at 10:49am
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2010 at 12:37pm
You've got it. The sail is flying backwards so the leech is actually toward the bow of the boat. You can follow the dimensions in the link that you sent as these match our kit. But the fact is that the shape of the triangle is really not as important as the overall area of the sail.
Thanks, Matt

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic