Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedSunbrella "Marble effect"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Keri View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sunbrella "Marble effect"
    Posted: 01 August 2008 at 11:32am
Dan,
As also, thanks for your assistance.  I will keep the 303 Fabric Guard in mind and perhaps give it a try on a test project.  If I do, I will let you know the results.

Have a great weekend!
Keri

Sailing the Chesapeake - Keri
w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2008 at 3:31pm

Hi Keri:

The effect that you are talking about is caused by the sizing used to make Sunbrella stiff and easy to sew.  This sizing is also the reason that Sunbrella is so water repellant.  As the Sunbrella ages, the effect will disappear.  Washing the fabric will make the effect go away, but you also will lose the water repellance. 

I've heard some people say that adding 303 Fabric Guard after the canvas is erected helps, but I've not tried it myself so I can't attest to if or how well that idea works.

Best regards,

Dan Smith

Annapolis Store Manager

Keri View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2008 at 3:18pm

Good Afternoon,

I have found when working with Sunbrella, especially working with larger projects because of the manipulating of the material when sewing the material develops lighter lines creating a "marble effect" in the material.   What is the best and quickest way to get rid of this effect?
Sailing the Chesapeake - Keri
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic