Heat sealable fabrics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heat sealable fabrics
    Posted: 09 October 2018 at 9:01pm
Great to hear!
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Jknight611 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jknight611 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 8:41pm
Well I just made the test bag with H66 and Shelter-Rite, seems to work fine, just let the glue totally dry, the used a heat gun and a wall paper roller. So far it is air tight! Thanks everyone!

Jay
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 11:33am
Great info Sue. Many clicker cutters for cutting fabric use an air badder that is glued using HH-66 and Shelter-Rite. It is amazing how well it holds and it requires no special equipment.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Sue2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 11:10am
Where I used to work, we made those inflatable escape slides for aircraft. Seams on those were glued, and then stitched for added strength. That being said, I doubt flotation bags will see "explosive" inflation and people jumping on them!  Our company also did some heat sealing with Shelter-Rite, which works with the proper technique, but we never used that for air-tight seams.  

Summary of all that information you really didn't need:  I'm with Matt that glue will most likely be sufficient.

-Sue
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 9:45am
Good plan!

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jknight611 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 9:33am
Thanks Matt, I have some Shelter-Rite left over from another project. I think I will see if I can make a small bag to test it out.
Jay
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 8:57am
We have Shelter-Rite. It is not thin but it works really well for durable flotation bags. I would skip the sewing and use HH-66 Glue to bond the seams.  
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jknight611 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2018 at 4:09pm
I have built a skin on frame kayak and now I want to make some floatation bags to put inside the front and back of the kayak. Does Sailrite have a light heat sealable airtight fabric that I can make these bags from. I thought I would sew the bags up with my LSZ1 then heat seal the seam. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Jay
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic