Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Boat Tops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedInserting a zipper into canvas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inserting a zipper into canvas
    Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:54am
Use a coil zipper for the best turns without puckering. Let me know if you have questions after reviewing the video process.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
NCCoaster View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCCoaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 10:04am
Thanks Matt!

I will take a look, some of my concerns are making sure i have the right size zipper so it can make the turn without too much puckering, and then I assume the last step would be to open the zipper and use a hot knife to seal the canvas edge and then sew down to the canvas to the zipper.  It looks like on the original they folded over the edge to make a seam and then sewed the canvas down.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:05am
Sounds like a great project. We don't have a specific video on what you would like to make but here is a video that covers the full process of putting a curved zipper in. It should help:

https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Install-a-Curved-Zipper-Videos

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
NCCoaster View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCCoaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:00am
Hello,

I am looking for the right technique to make a new throw ring storage area which sits below the T-Top and is basically a piece of canvas with a smiley zipper in it. I want to make sure I follow the right steps to insert the zipper.  I made a pattern and also have the old one to use as a reference.

Thank You!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic