Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Boat Tops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedAnother T-Top Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another T-Top Question
    Posted: 25 September 2017 at 8:31am
You could use Shelter-rite along the edges or you could use a "Facing" material:

http://www.sailrite.com/Notions/Trims/Facings

You don't actually curve the material. Instead you cut slits and create overlaps along the inside edge to make the turn in a "flat" manner.

Once you install the reinforcing material in a "flat" manner along the underside of the cover then you should "cap" the edges with a binding tape using a Binder tool on your sewing machine. I would use the 1" Swing Binder and 1" binding:

http://www.sailrite.com/Notions/Trims/Bindings/Width/1%22/type/Products?order=custitem_popularity

Hope this helps!
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
NCCoaster View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCCoaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2017 at 7:40pm
Just starting out here and I am to a point where I have made a pattern and cut out my material to match the pattern.  My top uses the total width of the material so there is nothing left on the sides.  I need help as to what fabric material i should use for the at least 1 inch boarder on the bottom side of the fabric that will add strength to the border before i put the grommets in. (shelter rite?)  I also need to understand how to make the curves in the corners as they are rounded, and in looking at some other tops it looks like they cut out out a piece of fabric to make the curves that is then sewn to the other fabric at each end of the curve.  I was thinking about using a two inch binder and then use the binder attachment on my machine to sew it into place.  Is that a good idea and will that give me a good finish around the curves?

Thanks for the help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic