Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Boat Tops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedPatching Sunbrella using Tear Mender

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
sdowney717 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdowney717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Patching Sunbrella using Tear Mender
    Posted: 07 January 2018 at 11:55am
Updating, the top has stayed together perfectly, survived the winds and the rain and the cold and the heat. Even survived a knockdown when a couple setscrews let loose. I drilled holes into the SS tubing and used bolts now.

MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 1:25pm
Love the testing and empirical data results. Thanks for sharing.

I have used Tear Mender myself on Sunbrella and find it works quite well for smaller patches. But I would not be surprised if there are other good (and even better) options.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdowney717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2017 at 1:07pm
I tried some tear mender bought off Amazon, and I am going to return it.
It is a weak glue. It reminds me of rubber cement and is just a little bit better.

A glue I have had good results with is the PL Premium Polyurethane construction adhesive. 
It swells up a little as it cures. The bond with Sunbrella is perhaps 10 times as good and can still flex, but does stiffen the fabric.
It can be spread thin with a putty knife and wiped off the material, but it will show a little. I have not seen that glue penetrate to the other side and show.

Another glue I am experimenting with is Titebond 3.  
I ironed some hem fold overs on Sunbrella fabric edges, then spread some glue smoothed with the finger, ironed again on top the hem pressing it down and it sets the glue quickly so the fabric stays down, but you still need to wait longer for it to cure. Titebond 3 might penetrate to the other side of Sunbrella when ironed with heat a little bit in spots leaving a slightly darker trace to the color. I just ironed it to speed things up for myself on my own top. Otherwise it could be clamped down till it sets.

Edited by sdowney717 - 17 April 2017 at 1:08pm
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 4:07pm
Your plan is fine. Put the patches on the outside to keep water from running under the glued area.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdowney717 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 3:54pm
Do you put the patches on the inside or on the outside?
I have several areas I need to repair. 
I was also thinking of using larger patches to cover multiple problem spots rather than a bunch of little patches.
The fabric is not really 'torn', but has flapped in the wind, formed some white crease type lines and worn thru small areas of an inch or less, so that looking up and you can see the sunlight where it has weakened.

Patches are going to be say 6 inch by 12 to cover about 3 areas. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic