Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Boat Tops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bimini Ends

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regalman190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bimini Ends
    Posted: 28 September 2007 at 7:26am

In making a bimini top for an enclosure, I normally tape the sleeve and double tail pieces to the top before sewing. This takes quite a while to do. My question, and possibly this is more for Matt, is in a video I purchased from Sailrite, it shows these pieces being stapled together rather than taped. This would be much faster, but are the staples removed after sewing or will they be hidden?

Thanks
w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2007 at 9:25am
Hi Regalman 190:

I suggest that you stick with the basting tape rather than using staples.  Sewing through the tape adds ro the water repellance of the seam while staples leave holes.  Whatever you do, do not leave the staples in.  They will rust in place and leave ugly brown stains.

The way that I make a bimini is to cut an oversized blank.  Sew iin the center (zippered) pocket and mount the blank on the bows.  (If this is to be a four bow bimini, start with either center bow.)  Clamp down the blank and mark out any darts that you need.  Take it down and sew these in.  Remount the blank.  Mark off your ends and the final position of your outer sleeves.  Sew these in place.  If you are making a four bow bimini, you may add the second center sleeve either before or after doing the end sleeves.

I hope that this helps.

Best regards,
Dan Smith
Annapolis Store Manager
regalman190 View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regalman190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2007 at 10:42am
Thanks Dan.
Normally that's how I do cockpit  and bow covers, but this boat is off site, so that would mean I would have to make multiple trips to do it that way. So I think I will need to pattern the bimini instead. Are there any better ways than what's on the video? Would clamps work better than the two way tape? Thanks for your help.
w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2007 at 10:46am
I'd stick to the tape.  Clamps can slip.

As an alternative to patterning, consider taking the machine on site.  When I made a livindg with my LSZ-1, I just threw it in the back of the car alons with a 2' x 4' folding table.  Often I would work in the cockpit of the contract boat.  Other times I set up in a gazebo or similar structure at the marina (get permission first!).

Best,
Dan
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2007 at 10:50am
Staples are ok at the ends of the bimini as weeping at the holes are not generally a problem at the tails (bimini ends). Staples are also very quick and positive. But Dan is correct that they must be removed.

For patterning I much prefer the double stick tape method. We have switched to a great new pattern material called Canvex which is extremely stretch resistant so it works great for patterning. And it releases from the double stick tape without tearing.
Thanks, Matt
sailrite

regalman190 View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regalman190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2007 at 11:16am
Thanks for all the great information. I'll let you know how it works out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic