Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Construction
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Add slugs to a battened mainsail

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDA1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Add slugs to a battened mainsail
    Posted: 14 January 2016 at 7:18pm
I'm going to add slugs to our boat's mainsail.  The main has a bolt rope.  The problem is there are 3 battens in the mainsail which will prevent the sail from laying flat on the boom (no lazy jacks).  The battens aren't parallel to the boom once the sail is raised.  The battens are at an angle to the boom at about 20° to 30°.

Any suggestions on how to solve the problem of getting a battened main to lay flat on the boom without without the battens sticking off at an angle from the boom?

Thanks Sailrite- love, love, love my LSZ-1

Pat
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2016 at 10:57am
Hi Pat,
If the battens are of normal length then they should still fall well enough to allow the sail to be loosely flaked on the boom. This situation is more normal than not and is what just about anyone with a traditional mainsail deals with. The only other thing to do would be to modify the sail to full length battens that are parallel to the foot or to remove the battens each time you flake the sail. glad you love your Ultrafeed and I hope this info helps.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Ryker77 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryker77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 5:01pm
So what was the best option

Ryker77
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 10:25am
Can you give me a few more details:

Are the battens full length? If so, all or only the top ones.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic