Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedNon Stock Binding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Steamer View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non Stock Binding
    Posted: 30 April 2014 at 12:40pm
Good tip. Thanks
Tejas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2014 at 6:46pm
I should have mentioned that when making precision cuts with a rotary cutter, position the straight edge over the desired material side, especially pricy material such as leather, not the salvage side. If you wander off, and I not infrequently do, you can trim and not end up salvaging what you had intended to cut out.
Beneteau First 36.7

Juki LU-1508N
Bernina 217N with CAM Reader
Singer 99 with hand crank
Steamer View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2014 at 12:49pm
Thanks for the tips Tejas. I'm looking forward to trying this out.
Tejas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2014 at 9:21am
I haven't tried to make continuous bias binding, but I recalled a trick for joining the sections that is a bit different from the Sailrite version -- essentially a trade-off of the ease of cutting versus ease of spliciing the pieces.

http://www.sew4home.com/tips-resources/sewing-tips-tricks/how-make-continuous-bias-binding

I think I'd try this with a small square of scrap fabric before committing a large piece. I think I'd also try back-tacking the start and end of each splice before cutting.

I'm a huge fan of the Omnigrid ruler shown in the Sailrite video and a Olfa 45 mm rotary cutter used on a 24" x 36" Olfa rotary cutter pad.

For short precision cuts, especially on leather projects, I use the Omnigrid ruler for measuring, marking and cutting. For long precision cuts I use the Omnigrid ruler of measuring, and then the side of a 2"x 60" metal ruler from Homedepot for marking and making the cuts.

For long cuts that do not require precision, I use a power rotary cutter.

Edited by Tejas - 29 April 2014 at 1:40pm
Beneteau First 36.7

Juki LU-1508N
Bernina 217N with CAM Reader
Singer 99 with hand crank
Steamer View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2014 at 9:28pm
Matt,
   I just checked out the 1" binder making tool and remember watching the video a while back but forgot all about it. It's a good solution for my needs and I did just order it along with the 2" version as well.

Thanks, John N
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2014 at 4:04pm
Hi John,
Sorry we don't stock that one. You could make your own with a 1" binding maker tool.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Steamer View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2014 at 1:19pm
Hi. I'd like to get some Sunbrella acrylic binding charcoal grey in 1". It appears you don't stock it but is it available? If it is would there be a minimum?

Thanks, John
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic