Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adding slides to mylar sail

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cercole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding slides to mylar sail
    Posted: 10 April 2013 at 10:21am
I have a mylar and aramid sail that attaches to the mast with a bolt rope.  It's a retired racing sail that I would like to use for cruising.  I would like to add slides to make handling easier.  Is this possible?  Should I just add grommets behind the bolt rope and lash / sew the slides on or will the sail need to be reinforced?
Thank you.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2013 at 11:42am
Sure, this is easy.

It is standard to just put the grommets in the luff tape behand the boltrope. Spacing is about every 26" starting at the headboard. Two slides close together at the headboard is a good idea. You may need to adjust spacing around reef points. I suggest shackles to attach the slides as they are easier than manual lashings.

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
cercole View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cercole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2013 at 2:13pm
Hello Matt,
Would #1 spur grommets be suitable here?  It's a big main.  For a J/109.  P is 43.25 and E is 15.50.  Which shackles and slides would you reccomend?

I also have a question about changing numbers but I'll post it in the right place.

Thank you,
Christopher
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2013 at 4:11pm
#2 grommets are the norm for this. Shackle depends upon the slug. I suggest #23308 for the slug and a #728 shackle. At the headboard I would put a single 1391 if you don't want to do a double of the plastic slugs.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic