Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedCushion Foam sizing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cushion Foam sizing
    Posted: 12 March 2013 at 6:07pm
That is the correct approach.
Thanks, Matt
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Sue2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2013 at 12:54pm
Thank you, Matt, that makes perfect sense.  In this case, I am not using piping, so I will increase the template size by 1/2" all around, and sew the seams 1/2" from the fabric edge.

Much appreciated!

-Sue
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2013 at 12:00pm
Hi Sue,
You would add to the templates before cutting the foam. You should add exactly what will be taken out by the seams. If using prefabricated piping this is about 3/8". If no piping and just corner seams then it depends upon how far in you intend the put the stitch line. Hope this makes sense.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Sue2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2013 at 10:53am
This should be simple, but I'm just not getting it.

I know that, when making cushions, you cut the fabric to exactly match the foam dimensions, so that when you sew the cover, the foam is compressed by about 1" in each dimension.

My question:  If I am making new cushions, and I make a template to fit the place the cushion is to fit, do I cut the foam exactly the size of the template, or do I add 1/2" all around?  For a V-berth, I don't want a gap between cushions, but I don't want them so tight they do not fit flat. 

Thanks!

-Sue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic