Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum Lockedsunbrella for outdoor bags/luggage?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mikeb View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sunbrella for outdoor bags/luggage?
    Posted: 20 July 2012 at 10:03pm
I have used 8 oz cotton duck, 430 weight Pack cloth, and even plain heavy Denim - all have worked well - the 430 Pack Cloth comes in all sorts of colors so you can make them to match what people like -

For water resistant I like the 430 Pack Cloth - use heavy 1 inch webbing for the handle - loop the webbing under the bag and you will pull your shoulder out of joint before you hurt the bag - my bags are sized so 6 two liter pop bottles will stand up in the bag with a bit of extra room - that seems to work the best for me - bit heavy when loaded all the way with heavy stuff but if you have real heavy items just don't fill the bag all the way to the top

I also sew a contrasting color over the bottom of the bag to give the bottom a double thickness.
w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2011 at 3:11pm
Hi tkaboris :

Marine Grade Sunbrella will work, but I think that there are better choices out there for your use.

Surlast is a solution dyed polyester made by Glen Raven Mills, the people that manufacture Sunbrella products.  It is lighter and easier to sew.  It is also significantly more abrasion resistant, and that characteristic should be near to your greatest concern when constructing grocery tote bags.

A second possibility is plain old fashioned cotton duck.  The 8oz cloth that we carry is perfect for this use.  It is available in pearl grey (somewhat greenish) and natural.

The last possibility is the one that I would chose, and that is Phifertex.  It is a vinylized polyester mesh and is extremely durable and wear resistant.  It is available in a number of bright colors.  Because it is a mesh, It will not trap spilled liquids, and because it is vinylized, it cleans up much more easily than the other options.  In fact, all you really need is a tad of spray cleaner and a water hose.  It also sews easily, even on home machines.

I hope that this helps. 

Best regards,

Dan Smith
tkaboris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkaboris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2011 at 9:14pm
HI, i am new to this forum.
I am looking for water resistant durable easy to clean fabric that will be used for outdoor bags that will be used to carry groceries and waigh about 20-40 pounds. Wanted to make sure that fabric is durable. I have seen "durable" fabric where something relatively sharp will be against the fabric it will rip easily, so wanted to avoid that.

Will sunbrella exterior marine work?

Please help
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic