Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Boat Tops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedFlat Felled Seams

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flat Felled Seams
    Posted: 10 December 2017 at 9:07pm
Hi, Let the knots fall to the underside a bit to control tension puckering. Also make sure you are using a #16 needle and a V-69 polyester thread instead of the heavier V-92. This will greatly help with puckering in lighter outdoor fabric.

I would not make the feed dog adjustment as I feel the above is a better solution.

Polyester with a PU coating could require a larger needle and thread but that depends upon the exact nature (weight) of the material being sewn. 
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Jabchnn View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jabchnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 4:15pm
What thread and needle size are best for stitching polyester outdoor fabric such as Waverly?  Also polyester with PU coating?  
Doty Hill Designs
T@B 320 Sunshades
Jabchnn View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jabchnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2017 at 4:12pm
I am also having the puckering problem on sewing seams on outdoor fabric.  Instead of ironing, is it ok to use a wooden seam opener?  My Fabricator instruction book says that tipping the feed dogs in the front helps, but I am a bit nervous to touch them.  My stitch is even top and bottom, should I let a little knot show on the bottom?  
Doty Hill Designs
T@B 320 Sunshades
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2011 at 8:25am
Got your pictures:

This looks like normal puckering to me. Please be careful when ironing Sunbrella. Too much heat can actually cause more of the issue – the material will shrink. We actually never recommend ironing marine grade Sunbrella.

Thanks, Matt

Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
BrianH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 8:03pm
Thanks Matt I'm going to send you an email with a couple of pitures
Not sure I know difference between a pucker and a wrinkle
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 3:48pm
Are you talking about wrinkles and creasing sewn into the seams or just puckering. I hope it is just normal pucking. Sunbrella will needle pucker a bit. We usually expect a sewn seam to shrink by as much as 1" per 15 foot of seam due to puckering. The best solution to minimize this tendency is to use basting tape in the seams, set the stitch as long as possible, and to set stitch tension so the thread knot is just tight to the bottom side of the fabric. Hope this helps.
Thanks, Matt Grant
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
BrianH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2011 at 8:40pm
I'm in the process of attaching two eight foot peices of marine sumbrell to replace my bimini top
I rolled the sumbrell on two 8 foot lenghts of thin wall db plastic electrical conduit to slide it through the machine and put the first strich in the 1/2" overlap

now I'm trying to flip the sumbrell,im using  seamstick, but I'm concerned about wrinkles.
 Its difficut to flip the sumbrell and get it smooth and wrinkle free
I've even used an iron to try and smooth it out
How concerned should I be about the wrinkles?
Any tricks to keep the sumbrell flatt  and wrinkle free
Thanks for any help you can give me
Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic