Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedDodger Fabric Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dodger Fabric Question
    Posted: 07 August 2006 at 12:48pm
I would recommend Sur Last for this project. Sur Last is Glen Raven's (they make Sunbrella) version of Solution dyed polyester. Top Gun and Notch would also be good choices but we strongly support and offer the Glen Raven product line. I find Glen Raven's product line to be more consistent and the warranty is supported properly by a well respected company. Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

mellen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2006 at 5:24pm
sorry 7 feet not inches
mellen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2006 at 5:24pm
   I Have a fiberglass cover over the back cockpit approx 13.5' X 7" and have an old cover made out of a coated fabric that hangs from twist connectors from the fiberglass top and is secured at the bottom with bungee type material with snaps down the side where it attaches to the boat. It has clears vinyl? windows sewn into the cover also
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2006 at 8:33am
The two materials are entirely different. Top Notch is a solution dyed polyester and Top Gun is an acrylic coated polyester. I am not sure either of the materials fit your application. What type of cockpit cover, exactly, do you have in mind?
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Edited by MattGrant - 31 July 2006 at 8:33am
mellen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2006 at 3:14pm
   I am planning a cockpit cover with Strataglas, and have heard Top Notch is an improved version of Top Gun. I want to use the same final product for window covers also. All thoughts and suggestions welcomed. My first project.    
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2006 at 9:33pm
Hi,
Both Sunbrella and Sunbrella Plus can be cleaned to the point that the water repellent nature of the fabric is diminished. You can retreat either material with 303 Fabric Guard. Both fabric products are excellent and will work very well for your purpose.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite
fhrussell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhrussell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2006 at 9:15pm
Thank you very much the replies. Now, after discussing this with my partner, he felt the Stamoid or SeaMark were a bit overkill for my needs. He has a dodger on his 35' sailboat of simple Sunbrella and says it repels water just fine. He suggested the Sunbrella Plus or TopGun, for their extra repelant nature.
In my area, the seagulls and cormorants can be pretty pesky and will naturally get this new dodger of mine, so the fabric will have to stand up to a good scrubbing every so often. My concern has been that I may scrub the water repellant of the fabric. Any thoughts?
Thanks again and excuse all the questions....just want to do this right.
Frank
Big Sandbar Multihulls
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2006 at 9:08pm
Hi,
Neither the Sunbrella Plus or the Top Gun are completely waterproof. The Sea Mark fabric is waterproof. This material is Sunbrella with a vinyl fabric laminated to the back side. Also as Dan mentioned the Stamoid is a possible choice and it is waterproof.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2006 at 4:37pm
You are looking in the right place.  Sunbrella Plus anf Top Gun ate both good, as are Stamoid fabrics.  Be careful to allow air flow underneath anything that is completely waterproof, as moisture can condense there, and once that happens. mold can become a problem.

I personally prefer stainless bows.  The metal  is stronger and you do not have to worry about elecrtrolytic corrosion from the bows being a less noble metal than the fittings.

Lastly, you might want to consider designing a dodger with removable windshield panels.  It is easier to construct, and you are not trapped behind the galss on light air days.

Best regards,
Dan Smith
Annapolis Store Manager
fhrussell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhrussell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2006 at 9:06am
   I am building a dodger for my boat and would like to use a fabric that is completely waterproof and will not let water through the fabric. I have read about Sunbrella Plus, Topgun, and a couple of others. Am I looking in the right place?
Also, stainless or aluminum for the bows?
Thanks!
Big Sandbar Multihulls
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic