Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedTeak Grab rail covers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teak Grab rail covers
    Posted: 13 January 2018 at 8:28am
Hello,
I am looking to make covers for a friend's newly refinished teak grab rails. Two questions:

1) What is the best material to use? He wants it to match the Sunbrella boat canvas, but I wonder if the Sunbrella will abrade the teak finish.

2) Does anyone have a pattern?  I assume they are held on with velcro around the grab loops, but I've never actually seen one.

Thanks!

-Sue
Sue2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2018 at 9:34am
Ooh!  Just found the Sailrite video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB9KnFhiBPc

Matt - FYI I found this by searching on Google, but I could not find it earlier by searching on the Sailrite website.

My question about the material still stands.  Is the Sunbrella /webbing safe for the finish?

-Sue
wingless View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 5:51am
The Sunbrella Supreme fabric I used for my custom enclosure has a soft flocking on the interior surface that is kind to varnished surfaces.

It is available in three exterior colors: black; captain navy and linen.
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550
Sue2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 8:41am
Thanks wingless!  I hadn't thought of that - great idea.  But dang it, it does not come in green.  
Nice enclosure, by the way!

-Sue

Edited by Sue2 - 14 January 2018 at 8:43am
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 4:01pm
Hi guys,

I think standard Marine Grade Sunbrella would be fine. If you want to make it really soft on the inside you could use Evolution fabric as a liner material. The big dollar powerboat guys varnish their teak tables to a high gloss and they don't want the covers scratching the finish. So they use Evolution as a liner.

https://www.sailrite.com/Evolution-Block-It-Grey-55-Fabric

Best Regards, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Sue2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 5:28pm
Matt,
That's an interesting fabric!  I see it blocks UV, but do you have any idea how well it holds up to UV?  Compared to Sunbrella (the gold standard), for example.

-Sue

Edited by Sue2 - 14 January 2018 at 5:28pm
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 5:38pm
It holds up well but I am not suggesting that you leave it exposed. It should be sewn in as a liner so the Sunbrella is still all that is exposed on the outside.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
wingless View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wingless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2018 at 7:34pm
The Evolution fabric is very nice.

I've had several custom car covers made from that fabric and have parked outside for extended periods w/o issues.
2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI
Horizon 380hp
Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
many cool mods

Juki DNU-1541S
Consew CSM550
Sue2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2018 at 7:39am
Matt - another fabric question:
In your video, you use polypropylene webbing as a snap reinforcement.  What do you think about using your acrylic soft braid binding instead?  Is it easier on the teak?  Will it lie flat enough as a snap reinforcement, or will it just be lumpy?
Thanks!
-Sue
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2018 at 7:48am
I think it would work but it might be hard to get it down without expanding the width as you sew it. But this felt binding would work well:

https://www.sailrite.com/Notions/Trims/Bindings/Brand/Eshco/type/Products?order=custitem_popularity

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic