Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum Lockedtack plate rivets

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tack plate rivets
    Posted: 12 August 2011 at 9:48am
I am repairing a torn out tack grommet on an MC Scow main with a tack plate and am trying to find out the best way to smash the rivets. I saw the video about head plates and using that setting tool, but your website says it can be done with ordinary tools. Can you advise the best way to do this? Just smash it with a hammer? I have a nail set but not sure that would help. I would get the tool but I have to finish this today! I have gotten the rivets though the sail and both sides of the plate in position.
thanks
Peter
www.tentservices.org
Matt B View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 9:56am
Set the rivets with a center punch and a hammer. Be sure that the punch is wider that the rivet. If you do not have the center punch you can use a #3 screwdriver. Just get the rivet to start mushrooming and then finish with the hammer alone.

Matt B
Matt Borden

Sailrite
pht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 3:55pm
thanks tons, worked.
Peter
www.tentservices.org
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic