Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sewing Machines > Sailrite Sewing Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Table Top Template?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RonRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Table Top Template?
    Posted: 09 April 2013 at 5:52pm
 I'm thinking about making a larger table top for my LSZ-1. I am thinking I would make it out of a 4X8 sheet of Melamine. Is there a template available for the cutout? Are the hinges a "standard" item or do I need to order them from Sailrite? Are they available separately?
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2013 at 3:42pm
The hinges would need to come from Sailrite. The simplest is the 1 hole hinge. Here is the link:

Sailrite does not have a template for the case cutout but you should be able to get the appropriate dimensions from the existing case. Basically the width and depth are the key measurements. But at the corners you need to provision for the supports which at ledges. Then it is just a matter of determining the hinge pin locations.

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
duink View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2013 at 10:16am
I used a 3/4" piece of oak-faced plywood for my LSZ-1 tabletop. I folded a piece thin cardboard into the travel case and traced around the opening to get a template. I used the template to make a model tabletop on a piece of scrap thin plywood and cut and trimmed it while test fitting the LSZ-1 until I was satisfied. Then I used that as a template on the good wood. If you are less concerned than I was about getting a perfect fit you could go directly from the cardboard to the good wood. I used the hinges from the travel case on my finished table top.
jrhannum@aol.com View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrhannum@aol.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2013 at 1:04pm
I found a k-leg table with a thick fiberboard top, wanted to "drop" my LSZ-1 into it and be able to lift it out to go portable:

1.  Lay out where ya want the machine to sit on the table, put the machine-base on the table-top and mark the perimeter; use drill and sabre-saw to cut a hole just slightly bigger than Sailrite’s  black case-bottom.  Make provisons for the latch-bits on the ends of the case-bottom.

2.Measure “depth” = the dimension between the plane of the machine-table and the base of the case; yer gonna buy 4 each 1/4-inch  lag screws 1 inch longer than this.  Hopefully, you’ve already got two pieces of the steel channels that are used to hang shelf-brackets – gotta be 2 inches longer than the case’s front-to-back measure. (otherwise, buy a stick of the channel and hacksaw into two pieces)
3.Drill both ends of each channel-piece to take the lag screws, find and mark where the channel-suspending lag screws are to be placed, pilot-drill up into the table-top; then screw in the lags  so that the lags suspend the channels at “depth” beneath the table-top.
4.Carefully drop themachine-base and machine thru the hole and down onto the channels, use duct tape around the machine-table to close gaps.

The LSZ-1 stays on its base, tips back for fiddleing with the bobbin or other under-the-machine adjustments.
To go portable, strip off the duct tape and lift out the machine and base
GrizzlyBagWorks View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrizzlyBagWorks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2013 at 11:07pm
I made my table out of some 3/4" ply as well.  Took the machine out of the case, flipped the bottom part upside down and traced around the perimeter with a pen.  Then I cut it out with a jigsaw and cleaned it up with a router.    I made the holes on the side so I can put the top of the case on the machine while in the table, lock the sides in and then remove the machine when not in use.  With the other half of the plywood I made a 2'x4' iron table that I can throw on top.  Makes for a versatile workspace.  Here's mine: 

Cost was about $45 not including the stain/poly/trimming (all of which I already had)

Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrhannum@aol.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 10:30am
looks very much like mine; howdja suspend the machine beneath the plywood?  I duct-taped to keep from loosing needles and other bits thru the slot.
still am perplexed w/putting pics on this site

Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrizzlyBagWorks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 12:56pm
I put the case on a flat surface and measured the height of the case from the floor to the bed of the sewing machine.  Then subtracted out the thickness of the table (3/4") from that measurement and ripped two 2x4's to that height.  Screwed/glued the 2x4's to the underside of the table and then screwed a 3/4" plywood platform to the 2x4's to make the base.  

I haven't found the holes on the sides to be a problem but duct tape or painters tape probably isn't a bad idea.  

The table I made is 2'x4' but I'm about to make another table that's 2'x7' so if anyone is in the Sacramento, Ca area they can have my table for, I don't know, $50 (?) if they want it.
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrhannum@aol.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 3:11pm
Thanks to IT guys and new sign-up to Photobucket, perhaps I can share a digi-pic of my table-mounted LSZ-1?   The left knee raises and runs the motor-controller which is velcroed to the bottom of the table.  The right knee presses the presser-foot lifter so that I can have both hands on the fabric.  My d.i.y. stitch-length stoppers are atttached beside the lever (allows me to wagggle the lever to lock-stitch without loosing my settings.
http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/jrhannum/media/P1110553_zpsc96b45bf.jpg.html#/user/jrhannum/media/P1110553_zpsc96b45bf.jpg.html?&_suid=136899028653007502945528168283">
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrizzlyBagWorks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2013 at 5:23pm
Just thought I'd throw this out there incase anyone else was interested in making a table.  The table below I built for my Singer 201 but it will also fit my LSZ-1.  I could have left the hinges off and used a lip instead, which would make for super quick swapping of machines but I like being able to tilt the machine back and have access to the underside.

It's basically the same shape as the Sailrite case with a lip running across the front that supports the machine.  The way my room is setup right now I need the machine on the left side but ideally it would be on the right so that you have the full size of the table to support your project.  I have an industrial table/machine for bigger projects though so the size of this one is fine.

topalli View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topalli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2018 at 7:09pm
Is there another source for these hinges?
The Sai rite hinges look good but the shipping is exorbitant.    I’d like to find a local source for the part or something similar.

I have a barracuda not sure if it has the same holes and would rather not frivolously spend if I can return it locally
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic