Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sewing Machines > Sailrite Sewing Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swing Away Binder Trouble

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canyoneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swing Away Binder Trouble
    Posted: 10 June 2018 at 12:37am
I have an Ultrafeed LSZ1 and using a 1" Swing-Away Binder.

I am having trouble getting the binding to snug around the assembly.  I am binding three layers, a 1/8" closed cell foam called Low-E, sandwiched between a very light ripstop nylon on one side and a quilted ironing board fabric on the other.  I'm using a 1" grosgrain ribbon to bind these.

Every time I attempt to bind them, the binding leaves about a 1/8" amount of binding around the edge, so the binding does not snug up/wrap all the way around the assembly, and only catches about 1/8" of the assembly material.

Any ideas?  I had the same issue using the 1-1/4" binder with a 1-1/4" polyester binding around an assembly of a single layer of carpet.  The binding sticks out from the carpet by about 1/8".  It wasn't as much a deal with that as that was just for some throw rugs, but this project above if for insulated window covers.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 8:07am
The issue is that the 1" binder is not designed to sew that thick of an assembly. It is for sewing a binding on the edging of Marine Canvas and clear vinyl type assemblies. It is the "jaw" that restricts thicker assemblies from being pushed all the way into the opening. You should have much better luck with the 1-1/4" binder since it has a wider jaw. Have you tried it for this job?
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
canyoneer View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canyoneer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 10:15am
Originally posted by MattGrant MattGrant wrote:

The issue is that the 1" binder is not designed to sew that thick of an assembly. It is for sewing a binding on the edging of Marine Canvas and clear vinyl type assemblies. It is the "jaw" that restricts thicker assemblies from being pushed all the way into the opening. You should have much better luck with the 1-1/4" binder since it has a wider jaw. Have you tried it for this job?
Not for this job, but as noted, I had the same issue with the 1-1/4" binder on a single layer of carpet.  I have some 1-1/4" grosgrain on the way to use for this, but still need to know how to ensure the binding is snugged up to the assembly.

MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 10:53am
I think you should try it. The carpet is likely thicker and will not compress as much. I bet the 1-1/4" will work great. You won't be able to snug up the binding with the 1" unit since the jaw is not wide enough for your assembly.

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Kodiak View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kodiak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2018 at 9:19am
I'm considering buying a LSZ-1 and am wondering if I need to get a binding foot. Is a binding foot necessary for binding or does it just make it easier? When adding binding on clothing or other items on my quilting / embroidery machine, I just fold over the binding and hold it in place while sewing. Is there any reason why that isn't a good idea with the Sailrite?
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2018 at 8:07am
The binder is a great bolt on device that simply helps to fold and position a prefabricated binding. Binders are sold in specific sizes. So a 1" binder will work with 1" wide prefabricated binding. When the material is run through the folder this particular binder would create a 1/2" finished edge trim.

This process can certainly be done by hand instead. But when projects get larger and the material is heavier to handle, it is really nice to have a guide to force the material up against to sew a consistent binding edge. For smaller projects and crafting I would agree that a binder is not required.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Dennis T View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 4:59pm
Realize I have only been at this sewing thing for a short time but I recently did a bit of experimentation with carpet binding.  I find I have better luck binding thick pile carpet by not using the 1 1/4" binder at all and using 3/8" basting tape (#129) on the back and attaching the binding about 1/2" and sewing slowly. a few stitches at a time, constantly keeping the binding tight against the edge.  You will need to clean your needle periodically as you are sewing through the acrylic glue of the basting tape.  The binder works great on low pile or berber type carpet.
GDAVIS67 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GDAVIS67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2018 at 2:10pm
How are you  holding/feeding the assembly into the binder? I used to have the same issue with binding and I was trying to hold the assembly parallel with the binder while feeding. Now, I feed the material in at about a 15-20 degree angle to the binder using my left hand to guide and watch the assembly come into the binder about where the sides fold in the final shape.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic