Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedSunbrella or Sunbrella plus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lszinspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sunbrella or Sunbrella plus
    Posted: 27 January 2013 at 7:26am
Hi I have used Sunbrella plus (with the bottom side coating) to make a bimini.
Using the same material I also made winch covers and a fitted binnacle cover as well.

My question is, would it have been better to use regular Sunbrella without the coating?
Will the coated version hold in more moisture around the winches and wooden binnacle?

Also now I am about to order more material to make a mainsail cover (stackpack style),
 should I use the coated sunbrella or non coated?
Does it matter?

Thanks in advance,

Shane
SK in Spain
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2013 at 9:37am
Hi Shane,
It is true Sunbrella Plus will not breathe as well as standard marine grade Sunbrella. But I doubt it will cause any issues in the applications you have used it for. For the Bimini it is the absolute correct choice.

For the sail pack I do suggest you go back to the standard marine grade.
Best Regards, Matt
Sailrite
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Tejas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2013 at 4:24pm
Matt, would you please explain why for a Bimini Sunbrella Plus is the absolute correct choice over standard marine grade Sunbrella. Abrasion resistance might be the reason. However, if the abrasion resistance is from the vinyl side, that might not be that much of an advantage.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2013 at 10:35am
Breathe ability is not important for an open top like a Bimini. As a result if someone is willing to pay the premium price for Sunbrella Plus, SeaMark, or Sunbrella Supreme each are certainly going to be more water resistant over the long haul when compared to standard marine grade Sunbrella. And you are correct that abrasion resistance is enhanced.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic