Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedStackpack Zippers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stackpack Zippers
    Posted: 12 April 2010 at 1:18am
First, I HATE zippers!  But I seem to have a mile of them on the sailboat between bimini, sailcover, and misc. stuff.  Can anyone invent a better zipper?

I am replacing the second zipper in my OEM stack pack style cover. Your kit includes a continuous zipper.  I replaced the first zipper with a (long-17.5') jacket zipper (white).  I guess I don't understand how a continous zipper would work on a stack pack (even though I watched videos on zippers and stackpack. Please comment-

Also, I attribute the zipper failures in the past to UV degradation.  Other than adding a protecting flap, do you have any suggestions?  I'm going with black this time.

In my opinion, the best zipper for this project would operate like the one on my foul weather jacket-connects at the bottom, zips up, and can be unzipped from the bottom to access your belt.  You could access the aft part of the sail without fully unzipping.
The ULTRA-Z would also be huge (20mm) and be super UV resistant!Big%20smile
 Any comments?

MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 11:38pm
If you use a continuous zipper for a stackpack you must leave it extend about one foot beyond the end of the cover halves. It must then be permanently sewn together at that end after the zipper slider is installed. If you do it this way the two sides of the cover can never be completely separated. Otherwise you need to use a finished zipper.

A protective flap is about all you can do to further protect a zipper.

You can get #15 zippers but they are very expensive. We almost added them to the catalog this year but got cold feet over the pricing.

Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
arsailor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arsailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 11:49pm
Matt, thanks for the reply.  How expensive are #15 zippers?  #10 aren't exactly cheap.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2010 at 9:47pm
$159 for a 240" zipper in #15 size. I told you they are pricey Shocked
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic