Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum Locked"Softer" Material application

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Softer" Material application
    Posted: 16 November 2009 at 3:29pm

Hello,

I am in the process of making a winter storage cover for 36' sailboat. The style cover is of the "boom tent" variety. I am using Top Gun to make the cover. My intentions are to have the cover extend down over the toe rail a number of inches to protect both the teak toe rail from the elements as well prevent water seepage on the deck and ensure it drains off the boat. I'd like to add a band (about 10") of "softer" feel material as an inside layer of the cover that will extend over the toe rail and rest against the hull of the boat.  This would also be a second layer of material for grommet installation which will be used to tie the cover down weaving from side to side under the hull.

What would you recommend for this application? I am looking for a material that is water/mildew resistant, will hold up well, but will be "softer" against the hull.

Regards,
Keri
Sailing the Chesapeake - Keri
w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2009 at 3:43pm
Hi Keri:

I would use 10 oz canvas duck, our item number 863.  If you have not yet bought the cloth, consider Odyssey III.  It is a lighter version of Top Gun and will hold up very well for this project.

Best regards,
Dan Smith

MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 11:32am
Hi Keri,
There are no right or wrong answers here but I would consider Odyssey SoftTouch as the "soft" layer. This material will also provide padding.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Keri View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 7:25pm
Thank you both for the suggestions.  I have ordered samples of both materials from you earlier today.
Sailing the Chesapeake - Keri
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic