Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Repair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedShortening Luff - moving headboard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote don54321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shortening Luff - moving headboard
    Posted: 23 February 2012 at 11:10am
Hello,

I bought a new, old stock, Trac-18 full batten sail which I need to cut down 10 inches. This should not be difficult, but I am unsure as to what I should use as layers of re-inforcement under the new headboard position. Currently there are multiple layers of fabric reinforcing the original position under the headboard, but this will all be cut off.  What do I sew down before rivetinging the headboard in the new position?   By chance the upper most batten of this currently pointy sail has a single short 17" batten at ~45 degrees, like a gaff, supporting the very top of a full roach.  Once cut down, this will create a near square top!   (I don't have a backstay to worry about, although a topping lift will be awkward.)  Is there anything that I should consider? Is there any reason I should not use pop rivets to re-attach the headboard?  It seems silly to buy a special rivet tool for a handfull of rivets.

(FYI,  once this sail is serviceable, I will attempt a bolt rope replacement on the original much heavier duty sail.  It would be easy enough to mess up and loose a sailing season without a backup.)

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Don
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic