Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedShade Sail

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shade Sail
    Posted: 09 August 2015 at 9:25am
Hi

Hi - I am about to be the proud owner of a new LSZ - ordered Friday.

My first project will be a 9' by 9' sunbrella shade sail.

I am clear on how to properly build the corners to accommodate the stainless D-Rings for a shade sail, while assuming it will be subjected to wind, etc from time to time, - although I may take it down when a hurricane is coming (I live in Pensacola, flor)

However I would like to get some advice on the perimeter hem/edge - after surfing the net, etc - I am still unclear as to needing or not to add webbing or binder (for needed strength) to the overall perimeter where I was otherwise going to otherwise make a three layer 1.5 inch hem.

Thank you in advance
Nick
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2015 at 1:59pm
Hi Nick,

Rolling the edge twice to create a double hem would be fine for a tarp of this size.

Thanks, Matt Grant
Sailrite
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Sue2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2015 at 8:15am
Nick,

I have done some repairs on boat covers that use webbing around the perimeter.  Generally, this is when there are snaps all along the edge and it gives some support for the inevitable yanking on the fabric.  The down side is that it appears that nylon webbing shrinks differently than Sunbrella over time, so the covers "shrink" and the edges get wavy. 

Essentially, I second what Matt has said.  When there are no inside curves or corners on a project, I find the double-fold of fabric works well and looks good.

-Sue
jnich View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2015 at 8:35am
Sue - thank you

like most shade sails this will have catenary curve built in but I suspect this is not the kind of curve you suggest needs webbing
I would have posted pic but I've never been on a forum that did not allow me to get a pic off my computer but instead wants a web address but basically a gently curve in then out corner to corner which aids in tightening the fabric inside not just corners
Nick
Sue2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2015 at 12:23pm
Nick,
You may want to investigate using binding instead of folding.  It is a challenge to double-fold fabric on any kind of an inside curve.  Try just folding a small section of curved fabric and you will quickly understand what I mean.  Of course, this all depends on how wide a hem you are making.  A narrow hem may be do-able, but I doubt you could manage 1.5".

-Sue

Edited by Sue2 - 11 August 2015 at 12:58pm
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2015 at 1:39pm
This is true. But if you keep the hem to no wider than about 1" it is possible over a long run.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
jnich View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2015 at 4:33pm
I am trying the one incher - I feel it will be ok

Another question - I wonder if replies like this get the audience I am shooting for - hmmm I think I'll start a new one since it is about thread
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic