Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedSewing order/construction- Jeep cover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sewing order/construction- Jeep cover
    Posted: 11 April 2015 at 3:08pm
Im making a rainfly for a jeep and have my canvas pieces some what layed out.. my question is;in what order do I sew the panels together? I intend to use semi flat felled stiches; I have one piece that runs from the windshield over the top and down the back of the jeep ( I used one piece to avoid seams at the top edges since the intent is water proof-ness)and two side panels... so they need to be stitched along the windshield edges , top and back edges. My newbie logic tells me to sew the top flat edges first then attack the windshield and back edges..am I on the right track? or do I need to make a clean run front to back or vice versa. I can't afford to make a mistake with this Sunbrella! thanks for your input. Very much appreciate your videos too.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2015 at 8:44am
It almost sounds like the full top piece has no seams. But if not, sew any top panel seams first. Then do the sides making sure to top stitch with the underside flap sewn to the top to encourage water to drip off instead of running into the stitching. I recommend making a clean run of the side seams from either the front or the back to minimize breaks in the stitching.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Newbie View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2015 at 11:29am
Thank you very much; I didn't expect an answer from the pro! I did do a full run, front to back and thanks for confirming my thoughts on the seam direction. Any tips on how to keep stitch length uniform? I have it set at largest (6) but they bunch up in places. I'm guessing my home machine (it was just tuned up) just does not have a strong enough feeder but I'm a bit hesitant to pull to hard.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2015 at 11:35am
Practice, and more practice. Without a walking foot you will need to time your feeding and pushing of fabric to maintain consistent stitch lengths.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Newbie View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2015 at 11:43am
Thanks again. ( Esp for the videos; they are a huge help. My window came out pretty great!)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic