Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sewing Machines > Industrial Sewing Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Servo Motor Upgrade ? : Thompson PW-201

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK_Sew_Newb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Servo Motor Upgrade ? : Thompson PW-201
    Posted: 02 January 2019 at 5:44am
Hello All - Happy New Year
I was recently gifted a vintage Thompson PW-201 mini walking foot machine and I am looking to make some upgrades with Sailrite products if they are compatible. I am wondering if the 'Ultrafeed Industrial Sewing Table and Workhorse Servo Motor' (#120931) would work with the Thompson 201? I understand that early Thompson models were inspiration/collaborators with the development of the original Ultrafeed and their physical resemblance and footprint seem very similar. (Image comparison only)

I am wondering if the PW-201 will fit fairly well in the recess cutout of the tabletop that is intended for the Ultrafeed? I am assuming it is fairly close. If I had to make minor adjustments with a router - that is fine with me. If the opening would be too large - that is another story....

My understanding is that the upgrade of the servo motor will require the Power Plus balance Wheel... Which apparently requires the use of the Posi-Pin - which the PW-201 is a friction/tension style flywheel. Is there an appropriate work-around or other configuration that would make this combo viable?

I am interested in a flywheel reducer pulley system - hoping to slow down the PW-201 to a more controllable machine - so I don't know if that might help out the connection to the Servo Motor.

Thanks in advance for your insights and assistance!
I am really hoping this setup will work.
I'd love to have one of your machines, but since the PW-201 was given to me as a Christmas gift - I will just have to make it work for now and trick it out with your upgrades.

All the Best,
Chad
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2019 at 8:08am
Hi Chad,
Great questions. The 201 is a great machine but you will have some challenges related to the way the bobbin winder works and the hand wheel for the machine. So let me answer your questions in order:

1. The cutout is not an issue. The 201 will fit exactly the same as the Ultrafeed.
2. With regard to the PowerPlus wheel I am worried that the 201, if I recall properly, has a bobbin winder that is in front of the hand wheel and is pushed against the front of the wheel when actuated. And this portion of the wheel is a smaller diameter than the PowerPlus wheel. What this means is that the PowerPlus wheel will not slide all the way onto the upper shaft of the machine without removing the bobbin winder mechanism. I am sure you can come up with something but it will require some creative thinking. It is possible to use the table with the existing hand wheel but you will need to figure out a custom XL 1/5 pitch timing belt length.
3. We do not sell the Posi-Pin as an upgrade so that part is out, sorry.
4. You will still benefit from the Workhorse servo even if you must use the standard wheel.

Hope this helps. Unfortunately you just can't make it the same as our offered Ultrafeed setup but you can make it a lot better than it is now.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
AK_Sew_Newb View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK_Sew_Newb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2019 at 4:46pm
Hello Matt,
Thank you so much for the timely reply and great insights.
There is indeed hope that I might be able to make this upgrade work out!
The 201 has the bobbin winding mechanisms on the top of the machine. There area couple of elements that are really close to the top corner - but they do not overhang the edge.
As long as the Power Wheel will attach to the machine just fine and be engaged / disengaged with the friction mechanism just fine (sans Posi-Pin) - It might be worth it to give it a go and see if I run into issues with bobbin location.
I’d love to make the Power-Wheel work - but if it just isn’t going to pan out - I will have to try and track down a custom belt.
Thanks again - this is a major help!
Cheers,
Chad

MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2019 at 5:40pm
Can you send me a photo of the hand wheel end of the machine?

PowerPlus wheel will work but it will slip without the Posi-Pin. You may need to put the Monster Wheel. As long as you set the servo to run slowly it will work great.

Matt

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic