Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedSeaming Phifertex Panels Together?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seaming Phifertex Panels Together?
    Posted: 30 January 2016 at 7:20pm
Hi,

I have Phifertex that I want to use to make sun shades for my sailboat and I wasn't sure how to seam the sections together. For everything else I've made so far I've used a flat-felled seam, but I can't picture that working for mesh like Phifertex.

I was planning on binding the edges for a clean look and possibly create some loops to attach to the stays, etc and hold it up. Is there a way to use that or something? Or do I just use a flat-felled seam and a short stitch?

Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have,
Dan
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2016 at 7:57am
Hi Dan,
Even though the material is a mesh (with an obvious hole pattern) it does sew very nicely. And you can sew it will long stitches without trouble. I actually recommend just doing an overlapping seam construction of about 3/4" and sewing a couple of rows of stitching. Then for the edges fold the material twice to make a three layer hem. This should allow plenty of "meat" for sewing on loops and even installing a few grommets if desired.

As a side note, the flat-felled seam will also work but I find the transition from one panel to next is not as smooth this way and you can see some seam puckering. I just personally think the overlap seams will give a nicer finished result.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
dkeagle View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2016 at 11:20am
Thanks for the reply Matt, the tip about a flat seam will be very helpful.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2016 at 11:44am
You bet. Send me a photo when you are done!
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic