Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Fabric Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scratches in Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brap54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scratches in Vinyl
    Posted: 17 November 2012 at 4:40pm
Hi
        In crystal clear 30 we seem to get fine scratches after sewing or even just handling
it. Use of tissue paper seems to help in fabrication,but invariably you end up with some fine
scratches seemingly ,whatever you do. Do you buff them out and if so ,with what compound
and speed buffer and pad.
                                                  Thanks , Bob
P.S. What is your most scratch resistant vinyl.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 9:28am
About all you can do is to use the IMAR polish to buff the scratches out. It helps but you will still see some scratching.

The very best products are Strataglass and O'Sea for scratch resistance.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
suziQ View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suziQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2012 at 7:57am
I find putting clingfilm on helps while sewing then rip it off, once fitted on the boat.

Suzi
If it aint broke, don't fix it !
brap54 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brap54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2012 at 7:01pm
Hello
   Thanks for the info.
By clingfilm, do you mean like Saran Wrap?
                                  Bob
bigblockcutlass123 View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigblockcutlass123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2017 at 8:10am
Same problem here, I can't put any kinda barrier on the table that stops this. It just mitigates the problem by line my table with something. What is this stuff you put on the clear vinyl to cover it?
211U567 Singer
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2017 at 12:09pm
I like to use Evolution fabric to cover table tops so the glass slides smoothly to minimize scratches. I find this to be enough. Hopefully someone else can answer about what material to sew in with the glass for removal post sewing.
Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Tejas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2017 at 8:43am
I haven't tried clingy material and wonder if it would't tend to stick to the table. Vinyl alone tends to stick, and I've used newsprint on the bottom and sometimes on the top so it slides more easily. The needle perforations make the newsprint quite easy to tear off along the stitch line.
Beneteau First 36.7

Juki LU-1508N
Bernina 217N with CAM Reader
Singer 99 with hand crank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic