Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sewing Machines > Sailrite Sewing Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sailrite Thompson PW-301 breaking needles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Planb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sailrite Thompson PW-301 breaking needles
    Posted: 07 September 2008 at 10:23pm
I have a Thompson PW-301 that is breaking needles. If there is no thread, and no material it does well, once I add thread (without any material) the needle breaks just above the eye (at hook). I am using the v.92 thread and a # 10 needle. Could this combination be the cause or is there somehting else going on? I can run it on high with an empty bobbin and it does fine....Cry
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2008 at 8:06am
The very first thing to do is to change your needle size. A #10 is way too small for V-92 thread. You should be using a #20. Then try to sew by turning the machine by hand. If you hits something or the machine starts to bind and the needle is obviously being bent --- stop! If this happens let me know because we have a timing issue that needs to be solved.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Planb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Planb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2008 at 12:55pm
Thanks Matt. When I have the needle in, no thread or material and the empty bobbin in place, it does fine and does not hit anything. I would think that if the timing is off, then it would hit then as well. Is this correct? I am also having problems with the tension being too tight, even with it all the way loose. Seems the thread does not want to flow smoothly thru the system. I also have an LS-1 that does fine so I know how to thread the machines and adjust tension. Could the incorrect thread tension also be causing the problem? When I put thread in, even without material that is when it binds and breaks...Not sure if a needle that is too small would cause that or not?
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2008 at 1:30pm
It may or may not hit if the timing is off. If the timing is too open, no stitches will be produced and there will be no hitting as well.

The #10 needle with V-92 can make the tension feel too tight and pull erratically. It will also make tensioning very difficult. Try it out with the #20 and let me know if this tension issue disappears as well.

Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Planb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Planb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2008 at 7:43am
Ok, I did not have any #20's but did have a # 18 which seemed to work fine. Also the tension issue has gone away. I only worked on a small piece of canvas last night as a test and it did well. Seems like the tension issue went away but I will know more later this evening when I start back on the large boom tent I am working on now.

Is there a chart of recommended needle/thread sizes combinations? Also what is the needle range size of the PW-301 machine? This machine looks identical to my LS-1, are there any significant differences I should be aware of?

THanks for your assistance Matt.
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2008 at 7:56am
There is a chart in the Sailrite catalog which matches fabric to thread to needles. Your machine can handle needles from size 10 to about 22. The old Mini-Walker is similar to the LS-1 but there are some big differences. Most notably --- the LS-1 is more powerful, has better slow speed control, has a direct drive system instead of a clutch, has higher foot lift, and it comes with a high quality carrying case.
Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Here is a link to the catalog request page:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic