Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sailmaking > Sail Construction
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sailmaking courses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sailmaking courses
    Posted: 21 January 2009 at 4:48pm
does anybody know of any sailmaking courses offered in summer?

And Matt, have you got any idea how the sailmaking course offered at WoodenBoat School suits someone how wants to build a Sailrite kit for a 24' sailboat?

Regards,

Duncan
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2009 at 9:07pm
Hi Duncan,
Contact Kathy Kludy at kmkludy@wisc.edu

Kathy has done many classes on sailmaking. She usually starts with one student who buys a kit from Sailrite and then others join the class to help in the construction process. I hear the classes are fun and very informative.

I do not know much about the course that Wooden Boat offers. My guess is that it is traditional sailmaking. In other words, loft the sail on the floor and apply traditional broadseaming techniques. Even so all of the construction steps will be very helpful when it comes to the construction of any future sails (kit or otherwise).

Sailrite kits are computer cut (shaping built in). Much of the old lofting techniques are not required. We have gone to great lengths to make Sailrite sail kits as easy as possible. Also remember we send custom construction instructions with each kit.

Thanks, Matt
Sailrite

Duncan View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 10:41am
I finally found a course locally, here in The Netherlands.
We can work on our own sail, assembling precut/designed (by a sailmaker) parts.

However, I am unsure what to do:
1) Choose to build a sail I will actually often use:
e.g. a high aspect jib of 10.5 m^2 which cost a substantial amount of money.
Furthermore, at the moment I can not take measurements of my boat. The mast is in
storage and unaccessible.

2) Choose to build  a small sail which will see far less usage, like
a No.2 or  No. 3 genny, of 10m^2 or 6m^2 respectively, which do not run the
full length of the forestay ( no critical measurements, approximate dimensions known from
the sailplan) and cost  far less.

What do you think I should choose as a first sail to build?
Taking into account the risk and cost?

Regards,

Duncan
Greetings from Holland
John&Jan View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John&Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2010 at 5:33pm
Interesting question. Jan and I are newbies as well. Two thoughts: I saw the sail making course in the Sailrite catalog. I'd love to hear some comments about how helpful it is. The second thought would be constructing an anchor riding sail or a storm sail as a first project. What do you experienced sailors recommend?

Cheers,
John & Jan McKeel
SV Santa Teresa
San Diego
carib2008 View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carib2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2010 at 6:23pm
John and Jan,

From what I read the anchor riding sail is a must so why not make one of them for your trial run. I am finishing  a storm sail for a 45 foot boat that I started last year and I can honestly say it was fun .   I did have  a few questions and concerns but Jeff answered every email immediately ,the support was great. The sewing for this size and weight fabric was a challenge  but gave me a great feeling of satisfaction once I got the sail assembled. I made some mistakes but learned so much . One was how to do a tack and clew ring.....Next time it would be much prettier though. I did have to take the sail to my local shop to install grommets as I did not order the tool necessary . I suggest a chat with Jeff to answer any of your concerns before attempting a sail of any size , mostly because of the hardware etc that needs to be added to the sails.....

I have an anchor riding sail on my  To Sew List....along with many other things.....once you start you can't stop.

Have fun.

karin
w1ndfall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote w1ndfall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2010 at 6:32pm
Hi John and Jan:

An anchor riding sail is especially useful in tight anchorages if your boat tends to "horse" or swing back and forth when you are on the hook.  It acts just like the fletch, or feathers of an arrow in keeping your boat straight and into the wind.

It is a definite asset if you have a fin keeled boat or a cat.  Full keeled vessels tent to ride better, but you still may benefit from the riding sail.  The ultimate question is "how does your individual boat ride at anchor?".

Best regards,
Dan
John&Jan View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John&Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2010 at 6:52pm
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm curious -- would you care to post what you learned so that it will be "prettier next time"?

Cheers,
John & Jan McKeel
SV Santa Teresa
San Diego
carib2008 View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carib2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2010 at 7:52pm
John and Jan,

Well my stitching is not always just right and the hand stitching around the clew ring is not as neat as I would like it. I have looked at professionally made sails and their stitching is not always perfect either. With a triple stitched seam  I am not worried about it at all. These are just minor gliches, the sail kit was great , instructions needed some explanation but only because this was not a usual kit Sailrite offers. As I said before Jeff helped me over the little humps. We wanted a Gale Sail that fits over the furled genoa, not the usual storm sail, and Sailrite made me a kit.

The sail looks lovely so far. Will post a picture when it is finished.

karin
MattGrant View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Sailrite Employee - Expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattGrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2010 at 8:40pm
Great! We would love to see photos.
Thanks, Matt Grant
Sailrite

Best Regards,
Matt Grant
Sailrite
Duncan View Drop Down
Groupie Member
Groupie Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2011 at 8:56am
This Sunday I am off for a week long sailmaking course in the UK.
Really looking forward and will report back!
This is the link, Note the picture of the LSZ-1:

http://www.boatbuildingacademy.com/courses/shortcourses/sailmaking.htm

Greetings from Holland
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic