Sailrite Enterprises, Inc. Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canvas Work > Covers and Awnings
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sailboat sunshade - Sunbrella View discontinued?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This forum is now a read-only site and discussions have been archived. You can still read the content but will no longer be able to post. For our ongoing how-to project blogs and video content, visit our “How-To” page at www.sailrite.com. For one-on-one assistance, email us at support@sailrite.com.

Forum LockedSailboat sunshade - Sunbrella View discontinued?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sailboat sunshade - Sunbrella View discontinued?
    Posted: 06 August 2015 at 8:19am
Hi,

I'm finally getting around to making sunshades for a sailboat and have an old Sunbrella sample card (from Dan at the Annapolis store) and it shows Sunbrella View, which I thought would be good for a tarp-like shade I could hang over the decks and cut the sun without blocking the breeze and then could roll up and store below when not needed.

Phifertex seems too stiff to roll up around PVC spreaders, any thoughts on what material would be a good replacement for the Sunbrella View?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Dan
eric@sailrite.com View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric@sailrite.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2015 at 3:26pm
Hi Dan,
As you know Sunbrella View is discontinued. Sunbrella View is nothing more than Marine Grade Sunbrella with small holes in it. So, it is about the same thickness and stiffness as Phifertex. However, Sunbrella View would not allow much breeze to flow through the fabric, the holes are too small. On the other hand Phifertex will allow some breeze to come through (do not pick Phifertex Plus, if you want breeze). I am not sure what your dilemma is regarding the spreaders, but Phifertex will roll very well. So... my best replacement for Sunbrella View is Phifertex. 
Thanks,
Eric
Eric
dkeagle View Drop Down
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2015 at 8:00pm
Thanks for letting me know, Eric.

I was just thinking that the Phifertex doesn't roll up as readily or tightly, it seems stiffer than the Sunbrella view, but if that's what's recommended, I'll go with it.
Dan
Sue2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2015 at 12:33pm
I just made a small extension for an existing Sunbrella shade that we mount on the boom of our sailboat.  In my opinion, the Phifertex IS stiffer.  It has kind of a "plastic-y" feel to the surface and, while you can roll it, it doesn't like to be crunched up.  Maybe this is because it is new, and it will break in?  Don't know. All this being said, it makes a wonderful semi-shade.

-Sue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic